Tiger oscar in need of helo

• SavageZ28
  • SavageZ28's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

SavageZ28 created the topic: Tiger oscar in need of helo

Hey guys im new here and just needed some advice on my oscar. He us about 2-3 inches long and about a month ago he ate our placo and ever since then he hasn't been aggressive at all and doesn't want to eat. His fins are also starting to disappear especially the back fin. He has and little holes on his forward that startes. Im thinking he may have a barb from the placo stuck inside him. He recently started getting to white dots on the holes in his head. My fiance who used to work at our local pet store said she thinks it's the start to hole in the head. Im extremely concerned for my oscar since he used to be the best eater and perfectly aggressive which is how he was at the store when i got him. When we give him frozen thawed fish his grabs them and just holds then in his mouth and every now and then chews them up and spits them out and repeats. Buts never eats the whole fish anymore. We have had him for about 3 months now and he is having problems. The tank is a 29 gal and im going to be purchasing a 40 or 50 gal during tax time. The water has always been 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, and a 7.6 ph (my fiance is really good and maintaining it). Any help would be appreciated.
http://rs377.pbsrc.com/albums/oo216/christopher_koss1/Mobile%20Uploads/20151117_084027_zpssdcuhoom.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Tiger oscar in need of helo

What did you use to test the water?

If he ate the pleco then a barb from the fins could be stuck, preventing him to eat. You could take him out of the water, open the mouth and see if you see anything in its throat area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SavageZ28

• SavageZ28
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

SavageZ28 replied the topic: Tiger oscar in need of helo

@rocksor We used the api brand (the liquid tester NOT the strips). I wanted to take him and and check but i dont wanna stress him out and make hin worse

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Tiger oscar in need of helo

You are at a point where you need to rule the possibility of a spine stuck in its throat.

Having 0 nitrates is concerning as this shows an uncycled tank.

• SavageZ28
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Well we decided to take him out and look down his throat and he has a large hard yellowish looking thing in his throat. I cant tell if its part of him or not.

• Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Tiger oscar in need of helo

Would you be able to post a close up picture of his open mouth? That does sound like something stuck but a picture is really the only way we can be sure.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Tiger oscar in need of helo

SavageZ28 wrote:

i am trying to figure out how to show the pic

• SavageZ28
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Well i got him out again and look deeper inside and sure enough it was the skeleton on a pleco and the tail of it was stuck inside his tongue and the barbs where stuck open behind his tongue. We tried to see if we could get it out but sadly could not. So the only option i had was to put him down and out of misery and into oscar paradise :/ thanks for the speedy responses and help guys.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds