My fish have ICH...I think I am doing things right...please help

• jsdphilly
  • jsdphilly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

jsdphilly created the topic: My fish have ICH...I think I am doing things right...please help

I am looking for some feedback here!

Last night I noticed that my oscar (Herman) had some white dots on him.

Several hours of "interneting" later, I confirmed that my tank has ICH (or is it ick) and it was time to take some action.

So, Here is the pertinent information:
SIZE:
75 gallon tank
Filtration:
Marineland Canister 160 GPH
SunSun Canister 525 GPH
FISH:
1 oscar 2.5 inches
1 JD 3 inches (pending a rehome)
1 Blood Parrot (pending a rehome)
1 plecco
3 rainbow fish
Water Readings:
PH: 7.5
Ammonia: 0.75
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 7.5

I am hoping to treat with heat, although I am open to adding salt if it will help (the only problem there is I have a plecco in the tank also (still looking on a good rehome for him, and he's still only about 4")

I have gotten the tank up to 80.7 F so far and I am trying to raise the temperature about 1degree every 5-6 hours. The target being 86-87. Then leave it there for 10 days or so. I aslo have a 6 inch air stone and my spray bar breaking the surface of the water

The fish are still eating and possibly moving a little slower then normal...though its hard to tell because they have only recently been getting settled in the new big tank.

Please let me know if I am doing this right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: My fish have ICH...I think I am doing things right...please help

Yes, get the temp into the high eighties. 3 tblsp salt per 5 gallons of water, but not all at once. Full dose over 48hrs. Do regular water changes, replacing salt each change. Even after the spots have visibly disappeared, keep heat high and salt for 10-14 more days, as the parasite will linger in substrate and on tank deco.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jsdphilly

• Thank you received: 47

yaserloz replied the topic: My fish have ICH...I think I am doing things right...please help

Heating will just speed up ich life cycle when the ich enter their swimming stage they will die from high consternation of salt in the water

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: My fish have ICH...I think I am doing things right...please help

Ich stops reproducing above 86F, and the temperature needs to be maintained for 10 days after you see the last ich. You can raise the temp about 1 degree every 2 hours.

• jsdphilly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

jsdphilly replied the topic: My fish have ICH...I think I am doing things right...please help

Hey...

So I tried to get a picture of the fish...the problem being that with the ayirstone running, the spray bar and the other intake breaking the surface so much, the water has so many little bubbles that a good picture is not going to happen...Sorry, but the water has gotten up to 86.2 degrees and I have gotten about half the salt in. Also, I checked the ammonia and it was between .25 and .5...so i guess things are ok.

Now, that isn't the crazy thing that happened today. When I got home to check on the fish, the JD was nowhere to be found. I searched the tank, moved the decorations, and he was gone.
I assumed the worst, and then found the evidence...the spine picked clean! Amazing that this all happened in about 7-8 hours. The guy was a weirdo who hid in his cave and never came out. Sad to see him go, although, in a sad way: I don't have to find a home for him.

Jesse, this was an unexpected development.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: My fish have ICH...I think I am doing things right...please help

If you have Prime water conditioner, I would add that in to neutralize the ammonia for 24-48 hours.

• jsdphilly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

jsdphilly replied the topic: My fish have ICH...I think I am doing things right...please help

I will pick some up on my way home today.

• jsdphilly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

And last night I got home and the white spots are WAY less!

Herman also has a big attitude. Him and the Plecco get along great, however I think everyone else is going to be getting moved over to a 20 gallon until I can rehome them. He is still small, but I could see him killing them sooner then later, or at the cert least, starving them to death because they are afraid of getting near food if he is there.

Ill get pictures soon.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds