sick albino oscar

• allenlee86
  • allenlee86's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

allenlee86 created the topic: sick albino oscar

Hi. My girlfriend oscar is in really bad shape. The tank was really dirty so i helped her cleaned but i I notice that it was a lil beat up. Which was wierd customers he is the biggest fish in the tank. I chalked it to some nipping and it would heal. The day she called saying he was really bad shape. I went over and he is laying on his side missing big portions of scales and fin. He is albino tiger and I think he may have fin rot and I didn't notice it the other day just cuz he is so white. I set him up in hospital tank with a heater, threw some stress zyme and melafix in there. The water conditions are on point. Nitrate 10, nitrite 0, amonia 0, ph 7.5, . I honestly though he was a goner for sure. Well to my surprise he pulled through the night. He appears to be stronger and more alert. But he seems to have loss the use of his tail. He try to stay upright but can't cause he can't us his tail. I ting feed him blood worms and he at them. Is there anything else I can do. Will he recover if continue to feed him and treat him or am I just prolonging his suffering. What should I do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: sick albino oscar

He will recover as long as he is eating and both ammonia and nitrite stay at 0ppm?. What size tank is it in now? Is the tank cycled? What water conditioner are you using? What type of water test kit are you using, strips or liquid?

You do not need to use stress zyme or melafix. You will have to test ammonia and nitrites everyday if the tank is not cycled.

• allenlee86
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

allenlee86 replied the topic: sick albino oscar

No its not cycled. Unfortunately I did not even have a filter for it. I had to go buy one today. I have in a small 5 gallon tank rn. Which I know is small but it's all I have. It also has an air pump. I have a 45 gallon setup it's has comet and guppies feeders in it. But I figured the smaller tank I can control the levels better right? It's liquid and are the levels okay or should I do another water change. And he only eats if hand feed him buts he is alert. He even bit me. Lol but he is still not Mobile at all so I have to hand feed him.

The 5 gallon tank is really small, and it's actually harder to prevent ammonia spikes than a tank with a much larger water volume. It's better off healing in a cycled tank than one where you have to measure ammonia and nitrites everyday, esepcially a 5 gallon tank.

• allenlee86
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

So should I do a water change and move him to my feeder? It's has like 10 small comments and like 20 adult guppies plus baby guppies in there. They just started breeding and I don't want just toss them. Can they stay in there with him or no

• allenlee86
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Or can I put the oscar in a critter keeper container and put that in the tank so the feeders can disturb him. Like a tank within a tank.

Putting the oscar in a critter keeper will stress it out even more. You can get a tank divider from petsmart for like $13.

www.petsmart.com/fish/tank-dividers-containers/top-fin-tank-divider-zid36-16739/cat-36-catid-300082

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds