Oscar bloated, floating on side

• wiksta
  • wiksta's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

wiksta created the topic: Oscar bloated, floating on side

My oscar has been a little sluggish lately. Today he seems to be having an issue with buoyancy. He is on his side floating at the top. His stomach seems bloated and where he poops it looks like something red is bulging. Ill post a pic later when i can. Oscar is close to 10 years old. 180 gallon drillex tank with 4 silver dollars and 2 common plecos. Regular water changes. Please help. I have no idea what this is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar bloated, floating on side

Pics, or better, a video will help. Sounds like a digestive or swim bladder issue. 10yrs is fairly good for an Oscar, but by no means really old. If he will still eat, epsom salt saturated feed would be a good start.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 0

Cynthia replied the topic: Oscar bloated, floating on side

Hey
How is your Oscar doing?

My first thought is What do you feed your Oscar? Have you owned your Oscar since he was small? Have you ever completed an internal parasite treatment? Have you ever done a treatment for worms?
Buoyancy issues are mostly caused by water quality and the intestinal track (gut). Check both of those first.

I would increase water changes, but not too much to alter the water chemistry of your tank, and conduct a study on what that "red is bulging" thing is. A picture is worth 1,000 words and more.
Let us know how your fish is doing. :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds