8 year old oscar not doing well

• preppergirl
  • preppergirl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

preppergirl created the topic: 8 year old oscar not doing well

My Oscar is 8 years old and I have had her from a baby of 2 inches in the last few weeks her normal appetite has gone down to zero. she wont eat anything I give her. I feed chiclid gold meal worms and she likes an occasional peas and apples. Also she has a film over her eyes which look like cateracts and she is not breathing heavly but keeps her mouth open and it looks like her tongue and inside her mouth is white. She has also layed on her side on and off over the last couple of days. Do a 50 percent water change weekly and all water tests are 0ppm and my ph is 6.4 she lives alone in a 75 gallon tank. Any advice would be welcome as I dont know what to do for her. Thanxs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: 8 year old oscar not doing well

not breathing heavy means water is good but mouth wide open is not a good sign.
can you post a picture or a short video footage...

my 5 year old lutino refuse foods for a while only to find out she was already blind.
but she grabs the food whenever i put it infront of her mouth...

• Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: 8 year old oscar not doing well

Cloudy eyes is often a sign of poor water quality. I know you said all water tests are 0ppm but what about nitrates? 50% water changes once per week with an adult oscar in a 75 gallon would most definately not have 0ppm. Are you using liquid test kits or strips?
The mouth staying open not too sure. Possibly something stuck in her throat? Like Draco said, only sure way to tell is with a picture or video.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds