been a while, need your help!

• Cichliddle_freak
  • Cichliddle_freak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23

Cichliddle_freak created the topic: been a while, need your help!

hey guys, its been a couple years since i have been here, and i kinda faded away for a bit. but my friend is sick again and i know i can trust you guys.
a while back my oscar jumped out of his aquarium and dried on the floor, i put him in the tank and he came back, and since then i wanted to do everything i can for him.

recently he had 2 major, and noticeable wounds to his body. one under his jaw, what seems to be a large chunk removed. and a scratch down the side.
i assumed he bumped into something and scratched himself pretty badly.
now it is starting to become fuzzy (usually part of the healing process like how we humans scab im assuming) and the scratch seems to be healing over.
but i just noticed that on the OTHER side of his jaw, under his gills, there seems to be a patch of what looks like white mold...
i cant even begin to wrap my mind around what this could be, and im starting to panic a little too much... im afraid this could be a bad sign of an upcoming doom...
i will take pictures, and show you guys because im sure my words are not enough.
i have in the past 2 days, started treating the water with "Melafix" chemical. (i know, chemicals are not always best)
and my water is usually HIGH in nitrates from even the tap water being unacceptable, thats just how it is unfortunately.

if someone could please give me some feedback i would be in your debt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cichliddle_freak
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Cichliddle_freak replied the topic: been a while, need your help!

80 gallons 48L 16w 24h
Fluvalfx6 filter
4-5 inch striped raphael (been together about 2 years or so)
3 tiger barbs (was 6 but over time died off through the years)
3 small 2 inch clown loaches (new) that school with the tiger barbs

• Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: been a while, need your help!

Welcome back. I just recently returned after an absence as well :) I've never had to deal with this kind of situation (high nitrates out of the tap) but I'll give my opinion and hopefully some of the pro's will chime in.

The high nitrates are definately a problem and imo is why his wounds are getting fuzzy. I've had my oscars wound themselves pretty nasty and they always heal fast and have never seen any sort of white fuzz growing on the wounds. I think you need to add chemical filtration to your canister to remove the nitrates artificially. There are a few different products out there for that. The chemical route is not ideal but might be the only option with your tap water. I don't know if the melafix is actually going to help but you should put an airstone in there if you continue. Sounds like he may be getting a bacterial or fungal infection setting in and will need stronger meds than melafix to combat it. Please post some pics if you can.

80 gallons is fine for 1 oscar but with the rest of your stock your pushing the envelope, especially with already existing nitrates problem. The raphael I think is fine with the oscar but the barbs and loaches are living on borrowed time and will eventually get eaten and are just adding to the nitrates. Clown loaches need pristine water and grow slow, so the oscar most likely will try to make a snack and kill himself in the process due to the clown loach's ocular spikes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cichliddle_freak

• Cichliddle_freak
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Cichliddle_freak replied the topic: been a while, need your help!

thanks for the feedback, ill think of getting a RODI system in the future, as that will clear it right out, and then just add the nutrients in, instead of using chemicals to alter the water. just seems safer.

the oscar i have (bruce) has always been very calm with other fish in the tank, and never bothers anyone. the tiger barbs eat the food that falls out of the gills and he couldnt care less. the tiger barbs and the loaches school together, as they just see each other and think they are related. the tiger barbs grew up with the oscar so i would like to think they built a bond XD i have always been very lucky with oscars and tank mates, and i even had a oscar grow up with an angel fish somehow haha.
ill keep it all in mind though.

i forgot how to post pictures, but i find the oscar sulks with the lights on in the tank, or around the room. and being more active and lively with just the moon lights on.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds