first oscar need help !!!

• shawnstubbert
  • shawnstubbert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

shawnstubbert created the topic: first oscar need help !!!

Ok just transplanted my first oscar into my tank started off fine but now he is just hanging out at the top with his nose out of the water kinda gasping like dont know water peramiters dont have teat kit just cleaned tank and did 50 % water change before introducing him have 2 inch red ear slider and two 5 inch sucker fish 40 gal tank temp at 78 Fahrenheit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shawnstubbert
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

shawnstubbert replied the topic: first oscar need help !!!

Started trying to jump out then went to the bottom of the tank pulled him out and put him in container of clean water treated with stress coat he is laying down breathing heavily

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: first oscar need help !!!

A 40 gallon tank is too small for an Oscar if you tend to keep him long term in there. He really needs a 75 gallon tank, but 55 is about the bare minimum to really give him a decent home.

Sounds to me like there isn't enough oxygen in the water. How powerful of filter do you have in the tank? Is the surface of the water being agitated a lot from the filter? If the answer is very little agitation, then I suggest getting a bubbler in the tank. This will create enough agitation on the water surface to allow oxygen into the water of the tank.

I recommend getting a liquid based water testing kit. A Master Freshwater Testing Kit is about 30 bucks at any LFS, or you can get it on Amazon for a cheaper price (around 20 bucks). It really helps you to know what the water in the tank is doing, as well as giving us the proper information to give better advice.

As for the stocking of the tank, I highly recommend removing the "sucker fish" out of the tank. One Oscar is already enough bio load on any filter you put on that tank. Once you add in the other two fish and now you're really overstocked for it to keep up. Definitely recommend removing those fish or taking them back to where you bought those fish from.

Keep us updated on this. There are plenty of people here with a ton of advice and are more than willing to help you have a happy and healthy Oscar!!

• shawnstubbert
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ok thank you will go get air thing and tester kit now

• shawnstubbert
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

tested water pH is 7.6 ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 nitrate is 0 added air pump module output seems to be helping currently have a canister filter from zoo Med 150 gallon per hour just ordered new canister filter 550 gallon per hour 5 tray system will be upgrading to 100 gallon tank soon will look into taking back 2 algae eaters to shop thank you for all the help Oscar seems to be healthy now just pissed and hiding from me moving around stuff in tank to add air pump will update if there's any change thank you so very much

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: first oscar need help !!!

everything being zero is not good... how long the tank had been set up?
gasping air on top of the water means low oxygen dissolve in un-cycled tank..

can you arranged with the pest store the return of the fish, cycle the tank and
get the fish later (after 6 to 8 weeks) when tank is fully cycled!

• shawnstubbert
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Tank has been set up over six months just did major cleaning with 80 % water change added two air pumps seems to have done the trick oscar swimming around happily this morrning no more gasping think filter pump was too small not creating enough agitation order larger filter pump will probaly switch to only one air pump after that thank you so very much for all your help you guys are the best my oscar appreciates you guys too

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: first oscar need help !!!

Glad we were able to help you out! Never be afraid to ask any questions that you might have. Better to ask and know the correct answer than to assume and have a travesty.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds