my fish is sick

• unlucky777
  • unlucky777's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

unlucky777 created the topic: my fish is sick

i have a 125 gal tank with 3 oscars, 2 plecos, 2 jack dempsey, 3 convicts, 4 balas, 2 clown loaches (i know ill need a bigger tank when they grow up) my water levels and everything are good but i just lost an affrican cichlid who had a swollen stomach seemingly parasitic it caused her to not be able to stay upright on her own for the last few hours of her life (i helped her push air through her gills so she didnt have to die upside down) i drained my water levels to 50 gal to do an api 96 hr parasite treatment on all my fish most fish seemed to instantly look happy with better gill movement and everything. only problem is im around 72 hours into the treatment and one of my albino mating pair (part of the reason i did such a drastic treatment was she was experiencing minor signs of sunken stomach and gill) seems to have a more sunken stomach than when i began! im scared does this mean the parasite is fighting the medication? is there any other things i can feed her or anything i can buy other than api? or is it even a parasite and should i get something else please help or should i maybe up the dosage of api and repeat treatment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• unlucky777
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

unlucky777 replied the topic: my fish is sick

[img]http:/https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204283433880903&set=pcb.10204283434080908&type=3

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: my fish is sick

always follow the medication directions, never add more.

The oscar maybe too far gone, just finish the treatment and wait.

A sudden ballooning of the stomach is an indication of a bacterial infection rather than a parasitic one.

What type of test kit are you using?

• unlucky777
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

can you test for that? im pretty sure its parasitic but she is fighting it she has a voracious appetite still i was thinking of just putting her in my hospital tank and wait a few days and see if she gets better and if she starts getting worse after all this treatment well i guess ill feed her nothing but blood worms for her last few days its just strange every single other fish in the tank is fine perhaps this is something shes been fighting since i brought her home and it just started to win out when i missed a couple water changes because of busy work lately id post a picture of her but im new to this site and dont know how to

• unlucky777
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

i was going to pick up medicated food for internal parasites tomorrow from pisces is there a test kit you would recomend i pick up while im there?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: my fish is sick

an API Liquid Test Kit should be available since you've got that api med for parasite..

i was lost with your chronological events with the fish...
how long have you keeping them?
when was the tank had been set up?
parameters of water will help us give you good and sound evaluation
ammonia =? nitrite=? nitrate=? pH=? and temp=?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds