Hole in the head!! Please help Thanks

• Cynthia
  • Cynthia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Cynthia created the topic: Hole in the head!! Please help Thanks

Hi guys
Recently the canister I have on the tank broke down a few weeks ago. I got a new one and had one HOB that was seeded in the tank with the Oscar in it. I was stupid and did not put any seeded material inside the new canister thinking the HOB was enough.

During this time I suspect that the Oscar got stressed and thus got very sick very quickly.
The Oscar has Hole in the head now.

Tank size: 55g tank

One Oscar fish only no tank mates.

Filters: Fluval 406 Canister, HOB rated for 20g tanks, and one HOB fluval rated for 40g tanks along with a small sponge filter.

Water changes: 75% water change (weekly).

Food: Hikary Gold Pellets for Oscar (staple), frozen, Krill, and brazilian roaches on occasion.

I started to give metronidazole by making my own gel food.

The Oscar has improved but still the holes on the right side of the face do not seem like they are healing. The oscar now refuses to eat the medicated food!!!. What should I do now? Keep trying? or just continue with water changes?
Doing 50% to 75% water changes every 3 days using Prime as the conditioner. I must confess that I have not tested the water since the Oscar got sick; I just started to do water changes a lot more often.

Please help
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this I appreciate it.
Cynthia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hole in the head!! Please help Thanks

Pic of the fish please. Could be stress or Hex related. Keep pouring clean water in the tank, as much as possible.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Cynthia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Cynthia replied the topic: Hole in the head!! Please help Thanks

Ok. I will post a pic asap.
What is Hex? Can it be cured?
Thanks

• Cynthia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thats some significant flesh erosion, and didnt happen from a few weeks of cycling a canister. 55g is too small for an Oscar of any size, but if thats the tank then a weekly water change is not enough. Your fish has been living in suspect water for a long time, the loss of canister was likely a trigger for rapid progression. This should not be life threatening, but must be addressed asap. More clean water, as much as you can manage, daily if you can. Monitor water parameters. You must keep ammonia and nitrite at 0, nitrate under 10. You can salt the tank to protect from any nitrite, should there be any. Poor water caused this, clean water will heal it. Wont happen quickly, will take many months to clear. A bigger tank would help, more volume to dilute toxins.

• Cynthia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I understand and will continue to do daily water changes. Thank you very much for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

I have not tested the water, but will do so when the effects of Prime wear off. I need to wait 48hrs. I will however check and continue to do vigorous water changes.

Again I thank you.
Cynthia

With daily water changes, you should see some progress very soon. Might be minor, like not getting worse, but thats a good thing on its own. Be aware that once an Oscar contracts hith, the chances of recurrence are much greater. Herein lies the problem with a 55g tank. You will struggle to keep the fish healthy in a small tank. If you could upgrade to a 5ft tank of around 120gals, with appropriate filtration, you will expend less effort trying to keep a healthy Oscar. Less work for you = more enjoyment of your fish. A healthier, happier fish= the same thing.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Hole in the head!! Please help Thanks

Cynthia wrote: I understand and will continue to do daily water changes. Thank you very much for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

I have not tested the water, but will do so when the effects of Prime wear off. I need to wait 48hrs. I will however check and continue to do vigorous water changes.

Again I thank you.
Cynthia

religious water change can compensate the absence of water testing...
water change will surely help your fish and reduced bad water condition...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds