Oscar's eye is messed up.

• Joeybsmooth
  • Joeybsmooth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joeybsmooth created the topic: Oscar's eye is messed up.

My mom's Oscar looking bad. His eye is swollen and gray (not black like normal). He is the tank with two parrots and a pleco. She said he is also staying at the bottom and not swimming up right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar's eye is messed up.

Appears to be an injury of sorts that is degrading the whole eye. Standard questions.. water parameters, water change schedule, tank size and filtration. Oscar looks to be of general iffy health, most often water quality related.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joeybsmooth

• Joeybsmooth
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Joeybsmooth replied the topic: Oscar's eye is messed up.

This is my mother's fish so I don't have all the information.

I don't know the exact parameters , but I know everything checked out sans high ammonia and really high ph, I told her to do more water changes for that. The tank is like 70 gal or something odd like that. I know it is greater then 50. Everything else in there tank seems to be doing ok.

Def a water quality problem. 70ish would hold Oscar alone. Add 2 Parrots and a pleco and you have a severe overstock. High ammonia, or any really, is toxic and an indication of being under filtered. Meaning filtration cant handle the bioload. High Ph compounds the problem. The higher the Ph, the more harmful toxins become. Its really going to be a struggle to get Oscar back to health. Water must remain very clean. I cant recommend any meds or even a heavy water change ritual until water parameters are determined. Dont want to shock the fish with a load of clean water, and meds dont work in dirty water. Oscar really needs that tank to himself. Maintaining a healthy environment will be almost impossible considering the overstock

• Joeybsmooth
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

:( That is sad to hear. Do you know if a turtle would eat a Pelco? I could move her Pelco to a turtle tank I have but I don't know how safe he would be.

Also how much space would those parrots need ?

Turtle will eat anything they can grab.Also very dirty creatures. Adding pleco would make more dirty. Whats the size dif between the 2? Parrots can get rather large as well, I wouldnt keep a pair in anything less than 48x18, 75-90g. 55 would be bare minimum I suppose, but would need 2-3 large water changes weekly.

• Joeybsmooth
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

The Parrots are like 3 inches each. The Pelco is about is about 4 inches while the turtles about like huge lol. Since they have barbs I wonder if they would protect them.

I am trying to think about what I can do. Doesn't seem like many options sans telling her to change her water more and more.

Could A Parrot live with a Red Devil ?

Large turtle will quite likely eat a small pleco. the other depends on the RD. If RD doesnt want Parrots around, Parrots will be killed. But yes, if shifting stock is a current problem, address the water. That has to be done regardless.

• Joeybsmooth
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Thank for the help . I replayed the messages. One more question.. she asked could it be anything else.. becuase she hasn't done anything different with her set up .

Personally I think it is just becuase her fish are getting bigger and those tiny fish use to have tiny waste , but now that are big and having big waste.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds