Sick Óscar - please help

• Joana33
  • Joana33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joana33 created the topic: Sick Óscar - please help

Hi everyone. My name is Joana, and I've been reading this forum for a while, however I just registered..
I have a tiger oscar.. we got him a year ago and he was a tiny little thing. Now he is about 7/8 inches big by now and is part of our family. Anyway, about 5 days ago he hurt himself (I am assuming on the tube the poor the water in the tank from the filter).. he got himself injured below his mouth. We checked the water parameters and everything was fine (0 nitrites and 0 nitrates) We started treating him with pimafix and did that for 3 days however no sign of improvements. Yesterday I got home from work and his wound looked bigger and now with white pieces of skin on the corners.. we went to our pet store bought him melafix and t.c tetracycline. Got home changed about 25% of the water, and treated the water with the indicated amount of melfix and the t.c. tetracycline (both from API). I got home a little while ago, and again, seams like the wound is just getting bigger andeal nastier by the day. Other than the wound, he is absolutely fine. Playful, has an appetite (the more I give the more he eats as usual) and same happy fellow everyime I get close to his tank. If anyone could please give me a little insight as to what I might be doing wrong or if there is anything else I could do.. or should I just keep course of treatment for a few more days and pray for him to get better? Any advice you could give me would be highly appreciated because I really can't bare the thought of losing him to a stupid injury..

Thanking you your time and advice,
Joana

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Sick Óscar - please help

Hello Joanna and welcome to OFL. An injury is most always healed with clean water.You do however have another issue. tetracycline has killed your bio filter. Your fish needs protection from ammonia. Since he needs clean water to heal, and constant water changes until you get a bacteria colony rebuilt, that is the path forward. Stop dosing the tank. Pima and Mela are basically useless anyways. What size tank is he in? Any other fish? What been his usual water change schedule?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Joana33
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Joana33 replied the topic: Sick Óscar - please help

He is alone in a 55 gallon. He used to have a convict as a tank mate but the oscar kept on getting bullied so we had to remove the convict and get him his own tank. Usually I do water changes every week, unless something comes up. But the longest I go is two weeks. But that hasn't happened in a while.. I check the water parameters about once a month.. haven't seen any changes in the parameters in months (had a little spike of nitrates about two or three months ago) but other than that everything is perfectly fine.. I have a homemade filter that my husband made because the one that came with the tank wasn't doing much.. we've had this filter for about 5 or 6 months.. so there have been absolutely no changes in the tank to cause this sudden lack of his ability to heal.. even about three weeks ago he managed to knock off the tank lid in the middle of the night (scared me half to death) and obviously injured himself on the side.. he was back to normal within days..

Everything sounds reasonable. Except.. you report that you have 0 nitrate, and before the tetracycline dose. This cant be, as nitrate is the final stage of the cycle. What are you using to test? You will certainly read 0 now, having lost your bacteria colony. Your fish is not large by Oscar standards, but is quite big for a 55g. You really need to up the frequency and volume of water changes. Much more important now that he has an injury, and you have lost cycle in the tank. I recommend no less than 75% volume of change, and no less than every 3 days. Healing is not as expected from water of poorer quality than usual

• Joana33
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Sorry. I meant 5.0 nitrate. After I added all the mess I haven't checked again because I figured I through everything off with adding all the chemicals. OK I will get to the water changes ASAP and I'll stop using the meds. Oh and I use the API freshwater master test kit. I am also gonna try to add a photo of him in case it helps

• Joana33
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Joana33
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

And thank you SO much for your time.

• Joana33
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Pic

Wow. That is VERY bad. Water must be kept absolute pristine. I would also slowly start salting the tank. Aquarium salt, 3tblsp per 5g of water. Bring the dose up to full over a 48hr period. Replace salt lost from water changes. If this were my fish I would be changing water every day, even twice a day. A raw exposed wound inviting infection, and in a tank that has possibly lost cycle. This is by no means impossible to heal, but serious time and effort on your part is essential.

• Joana33
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Yep.. that is why I am freaking out. It looks horrible. I will do immediate water change and run out to get salt ASAP. Thank you so much, I truly appreciate your time and help

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds