Sick Óscar - please help

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Sick Óscar - please help

Would like to speak more of your filtration, diet, some other items. For now the immediate thing is the water. Keep in touch, help is most always available.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Sick Óscar - please help

the injury is pretty bad and i could not think how it could happened.
any sharp decor inside the tank? i am not sure if you have any part of the
impeller of the pump exposed...

• Thank you received: 1

sonuolover replied the topic: Sick Óscar - please help

Hmmm so sad but not to worry about ..

seems he/she has some bacterial infection in the wound.

you can do the thing which always worked for fin rot, external wounds etc.

remove all the things you have in your aquarium like decoration, filter, sand or gravel...
wipe & clean the whole aquarium till it gets "DRY"

fill it half with treated water (treated with anti chlorine ) then fill the same amount of un-treated water (both 50-50%)
put an anti bacterial medicine ( I use Rid-All anti-ich )

put an air stone for oxygen & leave for an hour

now put your oscar in the tank & please don't feed him/her during treatment.
(oscars can live without food for a week without any health issue )

second day, use some rock salt (1 teaspoon for every gallon) & wait for two days....

(( Tip:-- please make sure the lid of ur aquarium don't have any open hole which allows flies & mosquitoes entrance coz oscars love to catch any insect flying over water & they hurt themselves during this.....))

this treatment always worked for all kind of cichlids, hope this will help ur oscar too .....

• Joana33
  • Joana33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joana33 replied the topic: Sick Óscar - please help

I've changed 50% of water yesterday and another 50% this morning. He continues active and acting as if nothing is wrong. I feed him Hikari cichlid gold and hikari cichlid staples for the majority of the time. I Look give him frozen shrimp and some frozen foods for Oscars every once in a while (if I only give him one quality of food for too long he gets picky lol). Water temp is 28.9 Celsius.

• Joana33
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks for you advice. The injury wasn't half as big when it started. It was just a little nick under his mouth on the right side. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture. It just kept on getting bigger and bigger, and that's why I'm sure he has an infection.. because believe me it's not the first or second time he has gotten hurt because my convictus is a nasty little fellow that beat up the Oscar until I removed him from the tank. And he always heals fast. But it hasn't spread anymore since yesterday and it doesn't look as red so I'm assuming the water changes are helping. So I'm gonna keep changing 50% of the water every morning and night for a few more days and keep the rock salt. Should I put my air pump on a higher speed as well? And should I leave the temperature as is or should I get it a little higher? Thanks again

Good job on the water. Hikari gold is pretty good. The staple is bottom of the Hikari line. Frozen food is generally of poor nutrition, its about 3/4 moisture. Freeze drieds are far better. FD krill is high protein, but also very high fiber. Only been a day, but do you see anything different on the bad spot? Better or worse? Same? Any salt added?

• Joana33
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Most days I just give him hikari. Maybe once or twice a week I give him brine shrimp to change it up a little bit. I've also given him uncooked shrimp (I peel it before) because he goes crazy. But that only happens like every other month. It doesn't look like it has spread and it's more pinkish then red so hopefully it's contained at least

Temp is fine, a little warm if anything. Higher temps = higher metabolism in the fish. More breathing, more waste. Lets keep on clean water and salt. Should be some improvement soon. Will recommend some effective med if we cant get some acceptable progress

I would also reduce feeding frequency to aid in water quality management. Fish that size and age can easily sustain on 2-3 good meals per week. All my fish like grocery store shrimp. Getting pricey, my big boys gobble them whole. 15 buck bag of shrimp disappears in a few minutes. More cost effective and liked just as much is cheap white meat fish. I use tilapia.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds