Oscar is very sick! HELP!!

• Offense
  • Offense's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Offense created the topic: Oscar is very sick! HELP!!

Help. My oscar seems like it is dying. The smaller oscar is picking on it. It happend yesterday. His eyes turned cloudy, he got some white spots and has lost some scales. His fins are dissolving too. I am treating his fins right now but he is hiding behind the filter and is sometimes on his side. I put some tetracycline hydrochloride in the water and he seems a bit better but nothing else. What should I do? Before it got sick no one picked on it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

bland replied the topic: Oscar is very sick! HELP!!

I'll ask before someone else does.

What are you water parameter? What's your tank size and stock level? What's your water change routine? How much, how often. what filters are you running on the tank?

With this information you should be able to get a better response for your situation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar is very sick! HELP!!

welcome to the community... so sad you came the community with problem already...
few question to start helping you...

how long have you keeping the fish?
when did you set up the tank?
how many fish do you have?
how big is your tank?
do you have testing kit?

• Offense
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Offense replied the topic: Oscar is very sick! HELP!!

I have 2 oscars (2 in.) and two plecos in a 40 gallon. I know oscars need bigger tanks but they are in it for outgrowing. Then i will change their tank. I have a top filter and 3 aquatic plants as well as pothos to remove nitrates. They have been in the tank for abour 2 months (havent grown) and it is the first time something like this happend. There is also an airator. As far as water perimeters go, my pH is 7.5. And i am soon going to add driftwood to naturally decrease it. My oscar seems better as he isnt on his side now and sitting on the bottom of the tank. And I dont have a test kit because they arent available in any fish stores in my country. I have had other fish before. Gouramis and plecos and sharks. I do a 50-40% water change every week. And my filter is cleaned every 1-2 days. And is the tetracycline hydrochloride the correct medicine for the issues?. One of his gils also has a purplish color to it in the middle. BTW i am trying to find a test kit.

• Offense
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Also, can bay wood (bay laurel tree) be used to make driftwood? I cannot find any information online

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar is very sick! HELP!!

Hello and welcome to the site. You seem to recognize that a bigger tank is in need. Everything going wrong with your fish is directly linked to the whole setup and stock. Tank is too small, underfiltered and overstocked. Water changes are not large or frequent enough to keep toxins at a safe level. Meds wont work in such an environment. You need a bigger aquarium and far less fish.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Offense

• Offense
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks for letting me know. My oscar seems better and is swimming about, but his eyes are still a bit cludy and he isnt eating. He looks at the food and backs off.also, if i give one of my plecos away, will the oscars be okay until I get a tank next month? And what if I Get a 60 gal. With 2 oscars and 1 pleco or no pleco at all? Also, will adding another powerhead for the filter help?

Offense wrote: I do a 50-40% water change every week. And my filter is cleaned every 1-2 days. And is the tetracycline hydrochloride the correct medicine for the issues?. One of his gils also has a purplish color to it in the middle. BTW i am trying to find a test kit.

can you give details about the filter....
how do you clean the filter?

cloudy eyes means bad water condition...
we need to know how do you clean the filter.

btw, tank too small for your present stocking
The following user(s) said Thank You: Offense

• Offense
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Well i have 4 layers of sponge and I scrub them every 1-2 days. Then i soak it in water for 15 minutes before rinsing it off. Then i clean the exit port of the filter and turn it on. Oh and my tank is about 45-47 gallon not 40. It is still overstocked, i know... Also, the other oscar is fine, and it doesnt have cloudy eyes, so i am guessing the water is good. I am thinking of putting some bio balls in there with polyester filling on top. Heres what my filter looks like- www.bluewateraquarium.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Top-Filter.jpg

wow... and you are cleaning your filter with tap water right?
you are just killing your beneficial bacteria in the system...
filter is the heart and soul of fish keeping...
wrong way of cleaning it makes more trouble than benefit..
over stock and under filter is not good..
better look for a good filtration system and upgrade the tank...
45 gal is still small for your fish.. and your filter is not enough.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds