• CooperS
  • CooperS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • The world is my oscar
  • Thank you received: 0

CooperS created the topic: PH dropped to 6/0 and ammonia spike help

Hi everyone,

Last few days I noticed my 4 month old Oscar 6cms size was really acting upset. He stopped eating and was laying on the bottom (not his normal tantrums) I checked my water about 5 days ago and 0 ammonia nitrites 0 nitrates at 10 so all was OK...stupidly what I hadn't checked was PH (newbie) so today I checked my pH because I got an ammonia spike to 0.25mm and I freaked. PH was 6.0 so I assume it killed my beneficial bacteria I quickly did a large water change got my pH slowly to 7.4 and added a fully cycled canister to the tank nitrates now at 5.0 no ammonia and no nitrites. My Oscar Kunu is ok but is there more I can do? I have notice he has small white marks under his mouth and is still not eating. I feel terrible :( he is in a 3 foot tank on his own he is usually super aggressive and tried to kill my silver dollars. I'm getting a 6 foot tank just for him later in the year. He has stopped rising from being stressed I assume and is now floating at the top of the tank quietly. Temp was also down so I replaced my heater and temp is at 28 degrees now. Was at 26 which I know he would of hated, is that a reason for the white spots like itch or something? Appreciate any advice I'm freaking out :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: PH dropped to 6/0 and ammonia spike help

Hello and welcome to OFL. Ph at 6 is actually quite comfortable for Oscar. 7.4 is a little high for their comfort. BB is ok at 6, an ammonia spike indicates you lost some somewhere, but not from Ph drop. A stable Ph is more important than the actual level. What is the reading of your source water? Ph may also drop from elevated dissolved solids levels. You get that from inadequate water changes. Oscars can live in aquarium temps of low 70's to high 80's F. 80 to 84 is most comfortable. 26-28C.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• CooperS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • The world is my oscar

CooperS replied the topic: PH dropped to 6/0 and ammonia spike help

Thanks for your help. I moved him to my smaller tank that has spot on readings, so my issue is my 3 foot tank it went back in to cycling not sure why I thought it was the pH the nitrates went from 20 to 0 in a matter of days. I do water changes around 30% weekly and treat the water with api. It's weird that one tank runs perfectly and the other doesn't :( I have 2 canister's that are over the filtration needed but with a Oscar I thought that would be OK. Only thing different in the tank that's 1 month new is a UV light in the larger 1800 canister. Kunu is swimming around now which is a huge improvement still not eating but I will monitor him. Been checking the water in both tanks now every 3 hours and the large tank has gone into cycling mode so best I got him out of there I think.

• CooperS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • The world is my oscar

My source water reading is 6.4 so I have been maintaining that although it has gone slightly higher after being with the air stones.

The large tank has some fish in still? If no, there is no ammonia source to feed bacteria, cycle will be totally gone. Moving to a smaller tank is not good for any length of time. Oscar needs lots of space, even when small. He should be loving your 6.4 source water. Change more volume, more often. 75-80% weekly, more in a smaller tank where quality will decay faster. Your fish is a bit small for its age. Could be genetic, could be from living in less than ideal conditions

• CooperS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • The world is my oscar

Yep got fish in the large tank to help get the cycle back on track. Oscar is approx age he was 4 cm when I got him and he is 10cm just measured him. In about 2 months I'm getting a 6 foot for him, I checked our water supply after placing air into the water and its pH 7.2 so its a bit high. He will only be in the cycled smaller tank for a short time until the other tank improves. I have done a 30% water change weekly since I've had the tanks and only added him when the tank was fully cycled. I do gravel cleaning twice a week is that an overkill?

There is no overkill concerning substrate cleaning and water changes. The cleaner the fish's environment, the better it will do. You need to at MINIMUM double your water change volume and frequency.

sammie replied the topic: PH dropped to 6/0 and ammonia spike help

Is a frequent 25% water change sufficient or should I take out more water? I see you told cooperS that 30% wasn't enough. I am reading a lot of mixed information on the amount of water to take out and how frequent to do so.

Your 2 Oscars in a 75g need 2x weekly change of no less than 50% tank volume. The more the better. 25% would likely not break even on toxin reduction.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sammie

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:PH dropped to 6/0 and ammonia spike help

Ammonia levels on acid ph below 7 are not toxic. Dont freekout.

"TapatalKing"

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds