What's wrong with my Tiger Oscar?

• Sammi
  • Sammi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Sammi created the topic: What's wrong with my Tiger Oscar?

Hi, I made this account so I could get some help with my Oscar. I'm pretty sure he's sick, and I've done all kinds of research trying to find out what's wrong with him and, nothing.

I have him in a 75 gallon, yes it was cycled, I've had him for 2 months, he's only 4 inches. He has been perfectly happy with an Albino Tiger Oscar, a dinosaur bichir, an eclipse catfish, a pictus catfish, an albino bristle nose pleco, a rainbow shark, and 5 silver dollars. all of these fish are fairly small considering how big they get. I run 2 filters and a heater, which is at 77F.

Okay, so I woke up one morning and he was laying on his side like he did when I first got him, I figured he was just pouting but it's been 3 days. I did a water change the day before yesterday and he looked like he was swimming a little more yesterday. However today he's been completely on his side and now he's kind of pointing at the top with his head and he's next to the heater. None of my other fish are effected at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: What's wrong with my Tiger Oscar?

Measure your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates with a liquid test. Ammonia and nitrites should be 0ppm, and nitrates should be 20ppm. If they are not, you will need to do another water change.

• Sammi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Sammi replied the topic: What's wrong with my Tiger Oscar?

I did a water test and my water is perfect.

• Thank you received: 1

Chris. replied the topic: What's wrong with my Tiger Oscar?

Probably won't be much help but mine (similar size/age to yours) was doing the same thing a few days ago, lying on his side & hiding all the time, after 3 days he suddenly came good & was back to his usual self, & still is.

I feel your frustration, I also sought advice on another Oscar forum & was met with the usual plethora of questions ranging from water quality & tank size through to the bioload on the last space shuttle mission. If I had a dollar for every time someone wrote "your tank is too small for that Oscar" I'd be a zillionaire. I think many Oscar keepers just like using big terminology. Anyway, good luck with him, I hope he comes good like mine did :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sammi

• Sammi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Sammi replied the topic: What's wrong with my Tiger Oscar?

Well thanks, and yeah every tank seems to be "way too small" for oscars lol. :)

I did another water change last night and I took a closer look at everything and I have an ich outbreak. I go to a local family owned pet store and the owner advised me to buy "copper power" I treated the tank and I don't see much improvement at all. My Oscar actually has a white spot on him that looks like an open sore and my other fish look like they have some white dots too, but they're not the same as the one on the Oscar.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds