Oscar Losing Scales and Holes in Fins

• vee6ix_
  • vee6ix_'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

vee6ix_ created the topic: Oscar Losing Scales and Holes in Fins

I have 3 Tiger Oscars, 2 black and 1 albino. The albino and 1 black at about 6inches long and the other black is 4. The 3 of them are in a 120 gallon tank with a 110g and 70g filter, 3 heaters, a bubbler and I do 25% water changes every 2 weeks. The water is regularly tested, it's a bit hard but the nitrates and nitrites and everything are always good. All 3 of my fish get along well, they don't fight at all and haven't for a few months.

The 6inch black oscar has been since since I bought him 6 months ago. First, his top dorsal fin got a chunk taken out of it by his tank mate. I treated with melafix for a week but it didnt get better.
Several weeks later, he started to get large white pitts in his head. I treated with typical API medication for hole in the head, etc. This kinda helped but didnt cure.
A couple weeks after that, all 3 fish developed ick and that was treated and cured.
The 6 inch black oscar has since started developing white spots and losing his scales. I treated with Metroplex and Kanaplex several times and nothing seems to help.

Can someone please help? I love this fish, all his mates are fine.
He's currently sulking, losing his scales, developing more holes in his side fins and still has pits in the side of his face. What can I do that I already haven't?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar Losing Scales and Holes in Fins

Hello and welcome to OFL. Its biologically impossible with those fish in that volume of water, and only a water change of 25% bi weekly, to have good water. Meds arent working because of toxins in the water. What are you using for testing? Its also likely that you are under filtered. Exact brand of filters please?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• vee6ix_
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

vee6ix_ replied the topic: Oscar Losing Scales and Holes in Fins

Filters are both Aquaclear. The 110 gallon filter was filtering I believe 700 or 800 gallons an hour, the other one does 500 I believe.
I was doing 30% changed every two weeks but it was apparently taking too much of the good stuff out. I get it professionally tested at the pet store down the road from my house.

Edit: I also know the tank is also too small. I have a 200 on reserve for them once theyre a bit bigger. I just cant accommodate the larger tank at this time.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar Losing Scales and Holes in Fins

ok, pet store is not professionally testing the water. Whoever told you that larger water changes affect the "good stuff" knows not what they are talking about. Your filters, while excellent quality are vastly overwhelmed both biologically and mechanically. An Aquaclear 110 realistically flows about 300-350gph, The 70 obviously far less. You desperately need a large efficient canister filter, and should have 2 on a 200g tank. 3 Oscars is as you recognize, an overstock in 120g. 3 is also a bad number and odds on to fail even in larger tank. They may all fight, or 2 may gang up on one. For now you need to seriously clean up the water. 25% every day water changes for a week. Then 50-75% every 2-3 days, permanent. The ailments you describe are directly linked to overstock, aggression and poor water quality. You need your own test kit. API liquid kit is most trusted.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: vee6ix_

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar Losing Scales and Holes in Fins

The petstore needs to give you numbers from liquid tests. These are good parameters

ammonia = 0ppm
nitrite = 0ppm
nitrates less than 20ppm

Dirty water does not have good stuff in it. Fish defecate and excrete ammonia into the water. The good stuff comes from water that is free of ammonia and waste.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vee6ix_

• vee6ix_
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

vee6ix_ replied the topic: Oscar Losing Scales and Holes in Fins

So I've invested in a Python gravel vacuum to make cleaning the tank easier. I've been doing more water changes. About 30% every 2 or so days.

Can anyone recommend medications I can use to help the Oscar (who I just found out is an Ocsette).

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar Losing Scales and Holes in Fins

just keep the water change until all water parameters are good,
varied foods and the fish will be good in no time... no need for any med.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds