Hole in the head disease!!!!

• andersons8734
  • andersons8734's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

andersons8734 created the topic: Hole in the head disease!!!!

So I got up this morning and noticed the temp of the tank dropped down to 68-70. I adjusted the heater to try and fix this. Well I just noticed something on one of my Oscars heads. Omg its that disease! We did a water change like three days ago and have been battling to get the levels right. High ammonia! Just did test strip and nitrate and nitrite levels high too. Idk what to do, I have prime and chlorine remover. And idk if my heater isn't working or what. Please someone tell me what to do to fix this or stop it. In about a week we can move both Oscars to our 77 gal which we just set up yesterday....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hole in the dead disease!!!!

Hole in the head does not appear overnight, or even in a few days. You need a new heater. Test strips are not accurate. When in doubt change the water. Every day if you have to. If you do indeed have ammonia and nitrite, then either your filter is not of sufficient capacity, or you have somehow lost any beneficial bacteria that may have been in the bio media. Fyi, 70 something gals is enough for 1 only Oscar. Trying to raise 2 or more will fail. You will struggle with water quality, fish will stress from lack of personal territory. More fyi... prime is a stand alone conditioner. It removes chlorine and neutralizes ammonia. Dose for the entire tank volume, not just new water added. IF, a big if, your fish are contracting hith, realize it comes from prolonged exposure to poor water, stress from overcrowding and aggression. Takes long to develop, longer to cure. The cure is tankspace, a stress free life and pristine water.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• andersons8734
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

andersons8734 replied the topic: Hole in the dead disease!!!!

I just put one of my tetras in the new tank To start cycling. In the smaller tank I have a marine land dual filter. In the larger aquarium there is a 3 section canister filter. We are going to by a new heater for big tank regardless. I know that 77 gallon is not really much for them but its what we have. The Os are only about 3 inches right now. I feed them cichlid pellets and bloodworms alternating during the day so they get vitamin c from pellets. I just read that too much protein causes high ammonia. Hmm. Well we prob were giving em too much protein. Will try pellets more. Did a water change, added prime, and sucked out all the poop! Every morning I will suck out the poop and change a few gallons see if that helps. I hope it does!

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hole in the dead disease!!!!

A tetra in 70g wont cycle anything. Not enough of an ammonia source. You can however run your existing filter in conjunction with the new one, until the new one builds its own bacteria colony. Its true that Oscars dont require higher levels of protein, but not true that this causes ammonia levels to rise. Ammonia comes from fish respiration and waste production. Overfeeding of any food will cause obviously more waste and then more ammonia. An insufficiently sized bacteria colony will cause ammonia to remain present.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Hole in the dead disease!!!!

i agree with Suprd71... just run the new filter parallel with the existing and it will seeded faster.
just fill the new tank with water to aged the water allowing the chlorine to evaporate in air
after 5 days, transfer all the fish at the bigger tank together with the two filter...
both filter should be good enough to handle the bioload at the new tank.

• andersons8734
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I will def do that. I have one more question. I have no idea what this is. Maybe some carbon thing lol. Was with the stuff that my sister gave me with smaller tank.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Hole in the dead disease!!!!

andersons8734 wrote: I will def do that. I have one more question. I have no idea what this is. Maybe some carbon thing lol. Was with the stuff that my sister gave me with smaller tank.

A carbon filter, which generally uses cheap carbon, and may cause hole in the head.

• andersons8734
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks. Good to know. Im glad I didn't do anything with them. Could they get hith from minnows. I live in the country and I put about 30 minnows in the tank (shortly realized that was not a good idea). I'm fairly sure the larger minnows ate the smaller ones. Maybe the oscars got a few but took them out after a few days

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Hole in the dead disease!!!!

Minnows carry diseases and parasites due to conditions they are kept in for breeding or if they are wild caught. HITH can occur as a result of stress from disease/parasite that come from minnows and infect the oscar.

• andersons8734
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Well dang! I won't do that anymore. One of my Oscars is chasing the other one around assuming its cuz of small space would it be OK to put the one being bullied in the big tank now or should I wait?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds