Oscar has sickness I can't figure out

• Deavon
  • Deavon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Deavon created the topic: Oscar has sickness I can't figure out

So my Oscar has these white lines on his eyes that almost look like scars and it's kind of scaring me. Please help
i.imgur.com/jLX0rHB.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar has sickness I can't figure out

Hello and welcome to OFL. looks like a very small Oscar. Is he fairly new to you? Bit more detail please, how long has he had these marks, is his tank cycled? Tankmates? Size of tank and filtration? Water test results? The more info you can provide, the better we may be able to help.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Deavon
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Deavon replied the topic: Oscar has sickness I can't figure out

I have had him for 3 months
He has had these for about a week and I have been using melafix to see if it would help.
If cycled means regular water changes and filtered, yes. No tank mates however there was a pictus with him for the first month I had him. 40 gallon tank with a 75 aqueoun filter.
Temp- 79 f ph- 7.2
And it almost looks like a scar

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar has sickness I can't figure out

sign of ammonia exposure...
better do large water change without touching the filtration system...

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar has sickness I can't figure out

Cycled really pertains to the filter having a thriving bacteria colony that processes ammonia into nitrate. After 3 months you should be cycled, but some damage may have been done getting to this point. Just so you are aware, 40g is only about half the MINIMUM size tank required to keep an Oscar. Your filter is also vastly insufficient to cope with the bioload that Oscar produces. Even a small Oscar. Your fish's eye problem is most likely caused by poor water quality. Oscar in small volume tank needs a 2 or 3x a week large volume water change, using quality conditioner at each change. We always encourage the use of the API freshwater liquid test kit. Monitor for ammonia, nitrite, both need to be 0. Nitrate should be kept well under 20ppm. Nitrate is managed via water changes. For now get as much clean water in there as possible, every day if you can. Melafix is useless for anything but the most minor of issues. If you plan on keeping this fish long term, you will need a much bigger tank and filtration to match. Not in a few months, a few weeks.... very few.

• Deavon
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Deavon replied the topic: Oscar has sickness I can't figure out

So , I did a pretty hefty water change, I'd say 75 percent And conditioned accordingly. Is there any thing I can put in the tank like a neutralizer for the amonia. And how is my filter bad? What is a filter you would recomend

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:RE: Oscar has sickness I can't figure out

Deavon wrote: So , I did a pretty hefty water change, I'd say 75 percent And conditioned accordingly. Is there any thing I can put in the tank like a neutralizer for the amonia. And how is my filter bad? What is a filter you would recomend

Keep the water changes accordingly to the amonia and nitrites and nitrates tests to keep it 0 on the first two and below 20 on nitrates as explained.

I dont know that filter but probably is too small. Dont look at the announced capacity. Usually the are enough only to half of that value and in large cichlids case no more than a quarter.

You shoud start looking for a bigger tank. Have you read the articles about oscar care?

Suprd71 as given you alrready a good idea of what you need to do.

"TapatalKing"

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:RE: Oscar has sickness I can't figure out

Its not that your filter is bad from a quality point. Heck, I dont even know the brand. Cartridge style filters are not suited for tanks holding large messy cichlids, of which Oscar is near the top of the class. Assuming you do the right thing, as in getting a tank of around 75-90 gals, you could easily filter with a pair of Aquaclear 110 filters. These are hang on back power filters of large capacity for mechanical and bio filtration. Better still is a combo of medium sized canister for bio and AC 110 for mechanical. Two filters will always leave you covered in case of unexpected failure of either. What kind of conditioner are you using? Quality brands will dechlorinate and bind ammonia for up to 48hrs. You are on the right track with large volume water changes, do that as often as possible

• Thank you received: 1

sonuolover replied the topic: Oscar has sickness I can't figure out

Deavon wrote: I have had him for 3 months
He has had these for about a week and I have been using melafix to see if it would help.
If cycled means regular water changes and filtered, yes. No tank mates however there was a pictus with him for the first month I had him. 40 gallon tank with a 75 aqueoun filter.
Temp- 79 f ph- 7.2
And it almost looks like a scar

really a cutie. but is it not growing? coz it still looks like 2 months old baby...

is he/she eating properly & acting normally? please look at his overall health..
i have successfully treated scars & cloudy eyes in just 48 to 72 hours with fresh water+ temperature:-27-28 degree celsius+ Rid All Anti-Ich & it works all the time.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds