I think my Oscar has hole in the head and I can't get him to eat

• Da Grump
  • Da Grump's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Da Grump created the topic: I think my Oscar has hole in the head and I can't get him to eat

Help please I am new to Oscar's. I think mine has Hole in the head and have been treating him with MetroPlex following the instructions on the package carefully. He spends most of his time on the bottom of the tank and I can't get him to eat. He is in a 75 gallon tank. Have not tested the ph and other chemical balances yet waiting for Amazon to deliver. Anything I can do to entice him to eat?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Shaun70 replied the topic: I think my Oscar has hole in the head and I can't get him to eat

If you have not tested the water for any of the required parameters, its guessing. But my guess is that if he's off color, you have issues with water quality. We really need more info and a bit of history.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: I think my Oscar has hole in the head and I can't get him to eat

how long have you been keeping your fish?
when was the tank set up?
putting med to uncycled tank is a waste of resources.

welcome to the community.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: I think my Oscar has hole in the head and I can't get him to eat

Hello and welcome to the site. When in doubt, do a large water change. Use quality conditioner if necessary(city water with chlorine) Use conditioner anyways until you can determine water parameters. Also please, offer as much info as you possibly can about the fish, tank, filters, everything. The more we know, the easier help can be offered.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Da Grump
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Da Grump replied the topic: I think my Oscar has hole in the head and I can't get him to eat

My oscar is improving. Water in the tank is now in all safe parameters according to the test strips. The water is still a little hard. He is more active and has come to the surface several times for feeding. He is not eating a lot but he is eating.

Suprd71 replied the topic: I think my Oscar has hole in the head and I can't get him to eat

Good to hear the Oscar is doing better. Test strips are notoriously inaccurate, dont get comfortable with their readings. For true parameter monitoring the API liquid test kit is most trusted. The simplest way to keep water and fish healthy is to change it as often as possible. You cant do too much or too often. Only benefit for the fish

The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Grump

• Da Grump
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Da Grump replied the topic: I think my Oscar has hole in the head and I can't get him to eat

My tank is 75 gallons. The filter is rated at 350 gallons I have 2 penguin power filter cartridges and 2 bio wheels set up. I now swap out 15 gallons of water every 3 days. Are there any additives that are good for softening hard water ? How about chemicals to reduce nitrates? BTW my Oscar appears to be back to full healt, swimming a lot, eating well and moving tank gravel around digging a trench.

You can use peat granules in an hob filter to soften water. Unless you have EXTREMELY hard water, I wouldnt bother. Oscar will adapt to what you have. Never add chemicals to your water, whether it be Ph altering, water clarity, algae remover, etc. Nitrates are managed via water changes. A heavily planted tank will consume nitrate, but most often impossible to keep with digging cichlids. You are not changing enough water. With an Oscar in 75g you need a twice weekly change of at least 50% per change. 15% every 3 days is going to put your fish back on the sick list. You are not keeping up with nitrate creep, let alone lowering to safe levels. As I stated in a previous post, do not rely on test strips. They are not accurate at all. I personally have a 75g holding a single male Jack Dempsey. Less bioload than an Oscar. 75% w/c every 4-5 days keeps that fella very healthy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Grump

• Thank you received: 1

MeganBannra replied the topic: I think my Oscar has hole in the head and I can't get him to eat

I had this problem years ago and got rid of it with clean water. Thank god my oscar healed :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds