Constant color changing????

• CaptainMegan
  • CaptainMegan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

CaptainMegan created the topic: Constant color changing????

I've got 3 oscars, 2 of which are tiger, the other is albino. My two tiger oscars go from black and bright orange to a grayish-green in a matter of seconds. They keep transitioning back and forth between colors every few seconds. I was told that it was because the water was too hot (it's 84F like it has been since the day we got them) or because I did a full water change (the water was getting really nasty and the small water changes weren't helping) but I dechlorinated the water, added a pH balancer, and added a stress coat. Also, we put in all of their food (50 comet goldfish) but we've also done that multiple times and they never did this. Please let me know what could be going on ASAP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Constant color changing????

84 is not too warm, its right in their comfort zone. Fish will change color and tone with mood. Can also be affected by water quality. Do you measure water parameters, inn particular ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Quality dechlorinator is all you need. Stop the stress coat and Ph altering junk. Feeder goldfish are the absolute worst thing you can feed your Oscars. I strongly suggest you stop that immediately. How big is the tank, and what is the filtration?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• CaptainMegan
  • CaptainMegan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

CaptainMegan replied the topic: Constant color changing????

It's a 37 gallon (currently looking for a bigger tank) the two large ones are about 4in and the smallest is about 2-3in. They have plenty of room to swim right now. I've got a 60gal pump for my tank. I do not have a bubbler though. Do you think it could be that they aren't getting a lot of oxygen?
Pictures of the my oscars in the new tank

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Constant color changing????

Ok, a couple of glaring problems. First is as you are sort of aware is tank size. What appears to you to be plenty of swim space is really very lacking. Oscar is a fast growing territorial cichlid that requires big space, even at 4ins or so. Your tank is not big enough for even one, never mind three. You are undoubtedly under filtered, regardless of the rating. Oscars produce large amounts of waste, a huge strain on the bioload of any tank they inhabit. Its very rare, not impossible, but unlikely that 3 Oscars will live peacefully in any tank. 3 oscars will require a tank of over 200 gallons and a 6ft footprint. 2 Oscars need a MINIMUM 72x18 125 gallon tank, and the excessive filtration to process their waste and ammonia output. Just to keep water safe in your current setup, you need at least 3 water changes per week at a minimum of 50% volume each change. You need big tank, like right now. A single Oscar needs a 75g tank, and could easily outgrow that within 2 yrs. Stress induced health problems from water quality and space restrictions are imminent for your fish. No clearer way to put it.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 4

Shaun70 replied the topic: Constant color changing????

I wouldn't even keep a few guppies and and a dozen neons in a 37g. I've come from a 55g with one Oscar and from my experiences with that, its pointless. Even with massive amounts of filtration, you are facing a big uphill battle. Its all about VOLUME of water in the system. And obviously footprint as Suprd71 mentions and stresses all the time.
Put it this way, if you were a room that was 6ft wide and 12ft long you could say you could move around comfortably, lets now make the room only 3ft wide and 24ft long, still the same area but the footprint has narrowed somewhat and you'd begin to feel "squashed in"

• Thank you received: 1

vogey replied the topic: Re:Constant color changing????

I've wondered a lil bit about my Oscar's color too he was orange with black stripes when I got him now he's just orange (top of his back n head still black but no stripes)

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds