Help with Rehomed Oscar

• BlueNawaz
  • BlueNawaz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

BlueNawaz created the topic: Help with Rehomed Oscar

Hi, so i need help with this Oscar which has been rehomed. This is an 8 inch oscar which has not eaten for 3 months. The previous owner of the fish had kept it in a 40 gallon tank with poor water conditions. We got it in this condition. It does not take any food. Tries to swim but fails and just drops back to the surface. Breathing is normal. I am not sure if we are dealing with Hole in the Head or Columnaris here . It is currently in a 150 gallon aquarium all by himself, we want to treat it completely and hopefully get it back to accepting food again. How do i proceed with the treatment and what medicine do you recommend?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Help with Rehomed Oscar

I really don't have any advice that is going to help unfortunately. In situations like this where this is an ongoing problem the best action I would advise euthanasia. It seemed that the Oscar is just slowly dying, don't think that's fair and I think that you should put it out of its misery ASAP.

Sorry if that sounds like I am passing the buck, or not trying to give you helpful advice. However I've seen this so many times in the last 15 years and there's rarely a good outcome.

if you are absolutely dead set on trying to help the fish then I would find a trained veterinarian who will probably be able to help you a lot better than anyone on a forum can. Also, if your fish is an eating then they may be able to inject some antibiotics. The problem with most medications is the fish has to ingest it, if your fish is eating then most of them are useless. Just putting medication into the water probably won't do much, especially if there's something wrong internally.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Help with Rehomed Oscar

How, or did you acclimate the fish to your 150? Is the 150 cycled with functioning bio filters?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Help with Rehomed Oscar

not eating for 3 months? under your care or from the previous owner?
resting upward or on its side?

• BlueNawaz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

BlueNawaz replied the topic: Help with Rehomed Oscar

Yes it is cycled and is running a sunsun 304b canister filter with bio media and an internal 2 stage filter with 1600 ltrs per hour filteration. It is a new aquarium initially bought for keeping an african community but now is the home of this Oscar. And the oscar has not been eating for the past 3 months under the care of the previous owner who kept it in a 40 gallon tank.
But we havent tried any major medication for it apart from water change and salt baths.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Help with Rehomed Oscar

Acclimation still may be an issue. Going from toxic water to clean without a chance to regulate. I doubt the fish could go a solid 3 months without eating at least something, at some point. Is the abdomen indented, caved in? Fish has many problems. Stunted I believe, ammonia burn and hith. Weak from lack of feed. Outlook bleak I'm afraid. You are doing the best possible with clean water. What have you tried for food?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• BlueNawaz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

BlueNawaz replied the topic: Help with Rehomed Oscar

I have good news. These are the latest pics of the oscar, when you compare them with last week when we first rehomed the fish, it looks a lot better. We have been treating it with Metronidazole and salt water baths. Temperature is maintained high at 30*c. The lower jaw seems better as well but it still does not accept food. However it no longer just sits at the bottom, is much more reactive. Just hoping now that it accepts food.
These are the latest pics.

• Thank you received: 4

Shaun70 replied the topic: Help with Rehomed Oscar

Glad to see a big improvement, the wound does look much better. Just keep up the water changes and maybe try entice feeding with some bloodworm or krill, just a thought, i'm not sure what you've tried. Good luck !

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds