Oscar has barely eaten in 9 days

• colmanthegreat1
  • colmanthegreat1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

colmanthegreat1 replied the topic: Oscar has barely eaten in 9 days

As for the Plecco he really does crap all over the place. Because of that i have thought about maybe moving him on. Maybe i will do that. After all his bioload will only be more problematic when the other fish increase in size.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar has barely eaten in 9 days

What kind of pleco is it? How old? Not all plecos, even the ones known as common plecos get to the 18-24in stage. I have a common about 5yrs old, same 11-12ins as yours, and thats about max for his species. Keep it if you like it and dont mind vaccing up after him. The thorough substrate vac always goes hand in hand with the water change. Do you have the Python water changer, or similar? An absolute must for the big tank, messy fish maintenance. I remind folks that the 3 keys to healthy fish and tanks are clean water, tank space and quality diet. Look after those factors and you will rarely have any problems.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• colmanthegreat1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Hi again group. Hope everyone is well.

After being unsuccessful using Flubendazole. I did a 40% water change. Left it for a bit and decided to use antiwhite spot treatment after noticing just 1 white tiny spot on a fishes right eye and 4 or 5 tiny spots on anothers top dorsal fin. With flicking now a regular occurrence in all fish and the Oscar STILL not eating (6 small worms in 4 weeks) and rubbing his bottom gill on the gravel every half an hour or so. 4 days ago i took the carbon out of the filter which i only used to aid the clearance of the first med(Flubendazole) The fish have now finished their fist dose of anti-white spot.

Normally i start to see results in 2-3 days but nothing. I have been racking my brains and my wife has been too. After driving her insane with constant analysis and guessing she said "what about the UV bulb, will that affect anything?" BINGO! Googled and lots of people talk about it reducing the meds effectiveness :(

I Honestly feel that the last 2 weeks of treatments have been a complete waste of time now and intern have wasted precious time that could have been essential to my fishes health improving. I know white spot has a cycle longer than a few days but i have used white spot treatment before and usually see results after a couple of days. They are on their second dose tonight and i have now turned the UV off.

4 weeks for an Oscar can not be good. His personality has changed. He no longer comes to me like a hungry puppy. Just swims in the same corner up and down facing away from me. Feel like i have failed them bigtime. Hope this second course of treatment does something, IF it's white spot of course.

Has anyone else had issues with UV making med weak?

• colmanthegreat1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Suprd71,Yes i do always vac and the pleco is a sailfin pleco with leapord type spots.

P.S the anti-white spot bottles instructions does not give a warning about UV needing to be turned off. But maybe it's just known by most. Just not me of course lol.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds