What's wrong with Greg?

• tpower
  • tpower's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

tpower created the topic: What's wrong with Greg?

Hello - my 9 year old Oscar fish Greg started getting white marks around the top and side of his head, I took a water sample to the aquarium and they said the PH was fine but 2 other items were not perfect (I wish I could remember what they were called) so they gave me water treatment and told me to put some more water conditioner in the tank.

So I have done that - he hasn't gotten worse but he hasn't gotten better - I am going to another aquarium tonight but before I do does anyone know what this is called? is it a disease? It would just be helpful to tell the aquarium what I think the sickness might be called... has anyone tried Blue Planet Multi Cure??????

Could this also have something to do with his diet? I feed him haraki gold pellets...

Can anyone help me to upload a photo? can I attach one or so I need to create a link?

Thanks for taking time to read this, he looks so sad - I need to get Greg fighting fit again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: What's wrong with Greg?

ouch... 9 years old! it is already an accomplishment...
white mark on top and side of the head... either fungi or ammonia burn... difficult to evaluate
but that could be the most probable cause. ... immediate response should be large water change and increase temp.

picture ... you can create an account at "photobucket" ... it is free...
just copy paste the link of the pic itself ... and you could keep the file for life...

welcome to the community!

• tpower
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

tpower replied the topic: What's wrong with Greg?

Thank you:)

Ok so do you think a 80% water change?? and as for the temp what do you think I should put it up to and for how long? and out of interest what do would you recommend I keep it at normally??

Have you heard of the multi cure treatment?

Here is a photo of Greg from last week :dry:

• tpower
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

tpower wrote: This link should work for the pic

honestly, i am not an expert with medication coz i have not experienced yet with sick fish.
the first fih that i medicate was a flowerhorn and i used antibiotics...

yes... 80% will be great but do not clean the filter to keep the good bacteria intact.
clean water is always the first requirement to help sick fish...

your fish was hit by HITH... it does not appear over night... it develop over time with bad water condition.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: What's wrong with Greg?

Hello and welcome to OFL. That is indeed hole in the head, and as DRACO indicated, does not happen overnight, or even in a number of days. The cause is poor water and the cure is clean water. Do not be fooled into wasting money on medications.... A) they wont work in dirty water and B) meds are not necessary for the initial assault on hith. Its quite advanced on your fish, and will take a long time(months) to disappear. Right off the bat do this.. in 1/2 cup of distilled water, dissolve 3/4 tsp of pure epsom salt. Saturate his normal meal in this water. A few pellets in a big spoon or ladle works well. Feed this only for 5 consecutive days. Clean up the water. Daily water changes are necessary to combat this. Fish can and will recover with proper treatment.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: What's wrong with Greg?

get a liquid nitrate test kit, and use it to determine your nitrate levels, which should be under 20ppm. IF it is not, do enough water changes to bring the nitrates down.

• tpower
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks everyone i think i might be due for a new filter too im usually pretty good with testing his water and keeping it clean so its sad to hear iv been doing it wrong im going to spend sunday working on it and try to get the right balance i hate seeing him like this thanks for all your help

tpower wrote: Thanks everyone i think i might be due for a new filter too im usually pretty good with testing his water and keeping it clean so its sad to hear iv been doing it wrong im going to spend sunday working on it and try to get the right balance i hate seeing him like this thanks for all your help

keeping that oscar for 9 years is already an accomplishment... there are times we thought what we are doing is good
or there are times the situation may have change but thought it is still ok.

when did you change the filter? as i have said, those craters will not happen over night but perhaps, you did not notice it
while still small ang just starting to develop... clear water is not clean water coz ammonia, nitrite , and nitrate are all colorless
but could cause the fish to gasp for air or breathing fast...

just do large water change as suggested and your fish can recover soon... though those craters will take time to heal and
will leave scars...

• tpower
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

After taking all of thay info in iv done everything you guys mentioned, i have noticed he isn't as hungry since iv been working on the tank - could it be because hes a bit unsettled with me tampering around his home more than usual?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds