Very sick Oscar, please help!

• jpracella
  • jpracella's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

jpracella created the topic: Very sick Oscar, please help!

Hi everyone, new to the site so TIA for all your help, here's whats going on:

My tank: 125 gallon with one 12-inch 3 year old oscar, two senegal polypteruses, 4 yoyo loaches, 1 clown loach, and one featherfin catfish. Had a small jack dempsey until this morning.

About a week and a half ago I did something I totally regret, bought a couple feeder fish from the LFS and dumped them in my tank. They had ich. I immediately started treating with Seachem Paraguard (concerned about my scaleless loaches so I went with something mild) but it quickly spread to the featherfin and my oscar. I continued the paraguard treatment daily and raised the temp to 85 degrees, after a few more days the featherfin is completely back to normal and it hasn't spread to any of my other fish. I noticed the JD did not look good last night and unfortunately found him dead this morning. My oscar has had a few ich spots on him throughout the entire time but has not looked terribly bad, but is really gasping for air and breathing heavily today. I have two large air stones and a lot of water movement from one of my filters so oxygenation should be OK.

I called out of work to set up a hospital tank, and that's where he is now. Still keeping the temp in the mid-80s, with 0.01% aquarium salt and a half dose of Rid-ich+ (half dose because I'm worried he's too sick to tolerate a full dose, I have read about it killing some fish). Still getting aeration from a filter and stone. Out of panic or frustration because nothing's working or I don't know what, I also dosed him with melafix in case that might help. Is there anything I'm doing wrong and what else can I do? There's not much ich on his body but his breathing looks AWFUL. Thanks for any help, this guy means the world to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Very sick Oscar, please help!

Ich can attach itself to the gills of the fish and interfere with breathing.

Melafix will not help, it will make it worse.

• jpracella
  • jpracella's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

jpracella replied the topic: Very sick Oscar, please help!

For clarification, the melafix was for any secondary bacterial infection that might be going on after the ich has damaged the gills. I couldn't find anything online that said it would make anything worse which is why I tried it.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds