Need help with new cycle

• leeroy73
  • leeroy73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

leeroy73 created the topic: Need help with new cycle

Hi

I know this isint really Oscar related but not a member of any other forums so hopefully you guys can give me some input?

Cut a long story short, a friend has passed away and I was left with his tropical fish. small ie: one Red-tailed shark and a shed load of tetras

I currently have two large Oscars which ive had about 6 years so I cant put them in with them otherwise they will become fish food.

I have a new ( 90 gallon uk ) tank which has been running from new for 4 days , now I know the tank is not cycled long enough. but are there any ways of speeding the cycle up? what I have done so far is ( from the tank that was left to me ) used the old filter sponge and placed it into the new cycling tank. bought some safe start ..... placed most of the oranments / live plants into the new cycling tank . ive done water checks with a API liquid testing kit and some of the results are through the roof.

PH 8 +
AM 0
NRITE 0.25
NRATE 8.0 +

Ok so as far as my NITRATE levels go and since having Oscars for 6 years l can never get this to go down and I have used many testing kits x3 API ones and others on the market. so any suggestions to help me get these guys into a much better tank set up.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Need help with new cycle

You can take some media from the Oscar tank filters and put in in the 90g filters. You need fish in the tank at all times to provide an ammonia source for bacteria to feed on. Nitrate in a cycled system is removed via water changes. Do a volume and frequency to keep nitrate under 20ppm. Nitrate goes down the same percentage as the water change, ie, 50% water change will lower nitrate 50%. Nitrate is reproduced at all times, the rate of increase depends on tank volume and fish stock.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• leeroy73
  • leeroy73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

leeroy73 replied the topic: Need help with new cycle

Suprd71

would you mind if I pm'd you please?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Need help with new cycle

leeroy73 wrote: Suprd71

would you mind if I pm'd you please?

Any time. Dont panic if I take a day or so to reply, I'm a 12hr shift worker.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds