help please now!

• zodiackiller
  • zodiackiller's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

zodiackiller created the topic: help please now!

so i have had an oscar for a few months now beautiful little guy but 2 weeks ago he started showing symptoms of fin rot.i tried "natural" remedies for it nothing has worked. i think i found out the issue last night it was due to a malawi lake cichlid bullying him.(i thought my tank was large enough to accomodate the both of them).i have tested my water parameters ----ph+6.9 not detectable ammounts of ammonia barely any nitrite close to 25ppm nitrogen 27 degree water.anyway nothing has worked i remove the malawi last night after i saw it and he is in another tank. my main question is what si a treatment for advanced finrot i want a strong medication to kick the disease in the ass and i would like an answer as soon as possible because i am seriously fucking attached to this little guy and dont want to see him die so help please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zodiackiller
  • zodiackiller's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

zodiackiller replied the topic: help please now!

also i would say i do about 30% water change/gravel vacume every week the water has great oxygenation my filter is 3 stage sponge carbon and biological.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: help please now!

You need to increase your water change volume and frequency. Fins regenerate much as our own fingernails. Remove the carbon from your filter and do not replace, it shouldnt be there. Clean water is the key. Do 50% water changes every 2-3 days. Depending on your tank size, this may be a required action long term. You want to keep nitrate under 20ppm, and with an ailing cichlid, 10 is better.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: help please now!

Can you post a photograph of the Oscar please? Another fish present isn't necessarily going to cause fin rot. This may be a case of the other fish nibbling the fins. If this is the case then hopefully they should grow back within time. But if we can see a photograph then it will be easier for us to understand the situation.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds