My Tiger Oscar has one small white, raised spot on pelvic fin

• Marie0717
  • Marie0717's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Marie0717 created the topic: My Tiger Oscar has one small white, raised spot on pelvic fin

Hi everyone,

My Tiger Oscar (had him a little over a year now) has developed a small, white, perfectly round raised spot on his left pelvic fin. I can't get a clear pic, I'm sorry. The best way to describe it is it looks like a very, very, small white pearl...or like a white dot you would get on your tonsil (like a tonsil stone.) He is acting completely fine, and is (and always has been) a huge eater.
Water params. are perfect, temp is at 80 F (as always) and besides this small, pearl-like white dot attached to his fin, nothing else has changed with his behavior...but I should mention that about 3 days ago he seemed to have a bout of diarrhea, it looked like strands of white balls all attached to a string. This went on for a couple days, at first I thought he was just regurg-ing when I wasn't looking, but then I realized he had the runs. I just kept vacuuming it out because it would sink right to the bottom and I was worried about ammonia or nitrite spikes. But he never lost his appetite, and he continues to beg for food as usual. I don't think I'm seeing a fungus (it's NOT fuzzy or in a patch, just a perfect white little circle sitting on his pelvic fin)...and I doubt it's Ich, because it's a little too big to be Ich and there is only one, no "sprinkled" appearance. It's a little larger than an Ich spot, that's the best way to describe the size. And noticeable, because he's black and this thing is solid white. But such a small spot.

I have had to separate him from his tank mate (another Oscar) by putting a piece of plexiglass between them, they have just started fighting recently over the last month. They've been separated for about a month now. (2 males, I know :unsure: - rescued them from Walmart when they were little and terribly sick.) Rehabbed them both and now they've grown and are quite happy. They are in a 75-gallon as of now, which was working out fine when they were both freely swimming around together because they were getting along ok.. until one day the little nips and nudges turned into a full-blown fight and they wouldn't let me break them up. In approx. 2 weeks I will be getting them a larger tank and then separating them in a similar way, this is just temporary so they don't kill each other. But I keep up with water changes (almost at an OCD level) so I'm not sure what this little white dot can be on his fin. The only thing I've found thru all my research is that it could possibly be Lymphocystis (?) This is usually brought on by stress, and the only 2 stressors I can think of in his life would be the recent plexiglass addition (which, really, saved him the most because the other Oscar was the one who seemed to pick most of the fights.) My Tiger actually seemed relieved when I separated them, finally he didn't have to worry about the other one nudging and following him and trying to own the whole tank. And then the other thing that may have stressed him out could have possibly been the recent bout of diarrhea. But that's it. Still eating and acting fine, knock on wood.

Any thoughts? Is he in trouble? I hate to start medicating unless absolutely necessary. I love him so much. Both of them. :) :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: My Tiger Oscar has one small white, raised spot on pelvic fin

Welcome to OFL. The white spot could very well be a calcium deposit, harmless. The stringy white poo is an indication of a parasitic infection. I would treat for that, even if it seems gone. Stress from overcrowding is a major health concern. If Oscar doesnt get enough space, negative results will incur. Keeping the fish divided is no good for either. A bigger tank divided again isnt a solution. You need to rehome one of the fish, or provide an adequate tank for each. Not a guarantee you have 2 males, lack of space could drive any sex of fish to aggressive actions.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Marie0717
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Marie0717 replied the topic: My Tiger Oscar has one small white, raised spot on pelvic fin

Hi there, and thanks for the reply! I am happy to report that the little white dot is now nothing more than a small white speck, can hardly see it anymore. I did a HUGE water change (well, more like a very thorough vacuuming)...and this seemed to help things move in the right direction. Even though I always stay on top of the water changes anyway, I decided to do an extra-loving water change and that seemed to make a world of difference.

As for the separating part, I really don't have much choice than to keep them apart in a much larger tank (in 2 weeks.) When I rescued them from Walmart when they were really small, they were the only 2 alive in a tank full of dead Oscars. They were basically floating above an Oscar graveyard. They both locked eyes on me, and the rest is history. They had Ich, clamped fins, Cloudy Eye, you name it, they had it. Got them home and cured them of all of it. That's just what I do. I look for the sick ones, and try to give them a second chance at life. Been doing this for over 20 yrs. now. (My first time w/ Oscars, though.)

They have a love/hate relationship. :cheer: :silly: They need to see each other and be in the same tank together, but they CANNOT have contact with each other. They clamp jaws and get into full-blown fights now. They have beautiful breeding stripes going along their sides, (both males? females?) They were best, best, best friends when they were little (and sick)...and they've been thru so much together. But now they have this strange "obligation" to fight...and I'm sure it's all territorial. My black Tiger doesn't really want to so much, but the other (orange) one does. And yep, already tried putting them in separate tanks. Never saw such a great depression in 2 fish in all my years of fishkeeping. Sulking, not eating, not swimming, just miserable. And yes, I know Oscars are known for sulking when things aren't just the way they want it, but I couldn't look at those sad faces another second longer or let their hunger strike continue - they were beginning to look weak and my orangie actually looked a lot thinner in the mid-section. I put them back together in their 75-gallon with the plexiglass separating them in the middle, and they both immediately started eating and looking happy again. They love each other, but still wanna fight. Like 2 bad brothers. haha!!

So you see, my only option is to just give them more room to swim around in a bigger tank, and they can still be together, just the way they like it....but they cannot make contact ever again, for their own safety. That's where the glass divider with suction cups will come in. If you have any other ideas that might work, pleeeease share. I won't be doing anything for 2 weeks anyway. I can't separate them and never let them see each other again. I don't even wanna know what would happen to them if I attempted that. They barely made it in separate tanks, that were RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER! :lol:
Thanks again! :) :)

Suprd71 replied the topic: My Tiger Oscar has one small white, raised spot on pelvic fin

Ok, first off I commend you highly for your compassion to these fish. However.. you are mistaken about a couple of things. They can and will survive fine alone in suitable tanks. At a year old they could easily go several weeks without eating, and show no ill effects. They dont need each other, they actually hate each other. Thats why they fight. Stress from overcrowding is a very real health hazard for Oscars. A divided 75 is very bad for both. Dividing a bigger tank, even something like a 6x2x2 180g really defeats the purpose of having a big tank. And they would still each be left with a 3x2x2 space. Worlds better than a split 75, but still very far from ideal. What you see and perceive is really not what is, or will happen if they are seperated. You have to be patient, allot time to settle in to new digs. Trust me on this one, I have almost 50yrs of Oscar keeping. Have pairs singles, community and loners. What they need first and foremost is clean water and tankspace, not pals.

• Marie0717
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Marie0717 replied the topic: My Tiger Oscar has one small white, raised spot on pelvic fin

Suprd71 wrote: Ok, first off I commend you highly for your compassion to these fish. However.. you are mistaken about a couple of things. They can and will survive fine alone in suitable tanks. At a year old they could easily go several weeks without eating, and show no ill effects. They dont need each other, they actually hate each other. Thats why they fight. Stress from overcrowding is a very real health hazard for Oscars. A divided 75 is very bad for both. Dividing a bigger tank, even something like a 6x2x2 180g really defeats the purpose of having a big tank. And they would still each be left with a 3x2x2 space. Worlds better than a split 75, but still very far from ideal. What you see and perceive is really not what is, or will happen if they are seperated. You have to be patient, allot time to settle in to new digs. Trust me on this one, I have almost 50yrs of Oscar keeping. Have pairs singles, community and loners. What they need first and foremost is clean water and tankspace, not pals.

Hi again, I see what you're saying.... okay, what about this. I keep my black Tiger in the 75-gallon, and get another 75-gallon that matches the one they're in perfectly, same height, same stand, etc., and keep them in 2 separate tanks. And if I were to do that, would it not be a good idea to have them side-by side? When I tried separating them the first time, I moved the orange Oscar into a 40-gallon, right next to the 75 that they're both in now. (It was all I could afford at the time, and because they started fighting so quickly, I had to move fast.) Because the tank wasn't as high, he seemed so much lower than my black Oscar still in the 75. Could be why he felt short-changed or something. (?) He did have plenty of room to swim back and forth, the tank was rectangular and long, but not too high. He didn't swim at all, though, just sat there and pouted the whole time.
*OR* I could get a 75-gallon and put it across the room and keep them separately in two 75-gallon tanks. Which sounds better, side-by-side, or simply across the room? Because I do know what you're getting at....perhaps them being so close to each other is almost like a "tease" and egging them on & causing extra stress, when really they'd do better on their own. And if they happen to catch a glance at each other at least from across the room, that would be better than nothing. Right? :) It wouldn't be enough to get them all worked up like if I kept the tanks right next to each other. Just trying to do what's best for them and not blow all my cash in the meantime....the 40-gallon and stand are now sitting in the garage and it was such a waste, wish I could still somehow use it in the mix, but it's probably too small. The orange Oscar is smaller than the black one, but ironically, he's the bully. My black O is pretty huge and really a "gentle giant", so he took a pretty bad beating from the smaller orange one, and that's when I separated them. I was worried he wouldn't make it....gills all torn up and laying on his side. He perked up once I put the plexi in, but I can't risk him EVER getting hurt like that again. I know they can get pretty torn up from fighting, but I'm too worried about injuries, because from my experience with fish throughout the years, open wounds can quickly turn into homes for bacteria and other illnesses. Just let me know what you think would be best, if the 40-gallon sitting in the garage is useless or if I could still somehow use it for now, and thanks so much for your help so far. Glad I found this site before I made anymore tank decisions....I've been so focused on keeping their water clean and saving up $$ for a better solution to this, but I'm still not sure what the best solution would be. April 1st is the big day, so I really need to be smart. Never dealt with Oscars before. They are quite a handful....but still totally worth it. Love 'em. :kiss:
THANK YOU

Unfortunately the 40g is useless for Oscars. Plenty of other options for it, just not fish that reach Oscars size and bioload. Another 75 would be a very good decision. Room placement is really up to you. For your own peace of mind, and if you are convinced they need to be close to each other, side by side is fine. Until another tank is in place, change huge amounts of water for them. Bioload is extreme, stress is high the way you now have it. Thx for listening, anything else you need, just ask. We are only here to help and share.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Marie0717

• Marie0717
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: Unfortunately the 40g is useless for Oscars. Plenty of other options for it, just not fish that reach Oscars size and bioload. Another 75 would be a very good decision. Room placement is really up to you. For your own peace of mind, and if you are convinced they need to be close to each other, side by side is fine. Until another tank is in place, change huge amounts of water for them. Bioload is extreme, stress is high the way you now have it. Thx for listening, anything else you need, just ask. We are only here to help and share.

Got it! :cheer: And yes, I see what you mean now...the black O is happy as a horse, eating, dancing around, probably because the stress of being bullied is finally off of him. The orange one....well, he's very angry. All the time. Constantly looking at the other side of the tank, swimming around with his mouth open (like to initiate a fight, not all the time, but sometimes..) biting me whenever I do water changes, :evil: and (I'm not kidding here) PURPOSELY not eating in front of me, only when I walk away. Almost like he doesn't want me to have the satisfaction of knowing he ate. :laugh: He wants to own that tank, and I'm not letting him, because of the plexiglass. Well, his dream will come true when I put my black O in the new tank, and he can have it all to himself. So it won't matter if they're next to each other or not, I get it. Might bring some comfort to the black O to still be able to see his old (semi)-buddy, but really it's all about giving them their own territory and keeping both tank conditions perfecto. I will stay on top of the water changes until I make the move, promise. ;) I always do.

Thanks again, invaluable information. You stopped me from making a huge mistake. :) :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds