Strange white "line" going across my Oscar's eyes ??

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Strange white "line" going across my Oscar's eyes ??

LOL, I have fish that bite way beyond Oscar's capability. Hospital for stitches kinda bite. To avoid this I attached a piece of doweling, like a makeshift handle, to the intake tube of the Python. They can hammer on that all they want, it isnt my flesh! I'm afraid your filters are lacking. Especially in biological capacity. The Whispers are good quality, but just cant process the bioload of large messy cichlids, of which Oscar is near head of the class. Ideally you should have a medium sized canister filter on each tank. Eheim 2217 or Filstar XPL are both excellent filters. The canisters would handle bio filtration, you could make the Whispers into strictly mechanical with sponge/floss combinations. There are other ways to improve nutrition without pellets. Fresh fish, shrimp. Quality freeze drieds like krill and tubifex worms. Live earthworms and mealworms.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marie0717
  • Marie0717's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Marie0717 replied the topic: Strange white "line" going across my Oscar's eyes ??

Suprd71 wrote: LOL, I have fish that bite way beyond Oscar's capability. Hospital for stitches kinda bite. To avoid this I attached a piece of doweling, like a makeshift handle, to the intake tube of the Python. They can hammer on that all they want, it isnt my flesh! I'm afraid your filters are lacking. Especially in biological capacity. The Whispers are good quality, but just cant process the bioload of large messy cichlids, of which Oscar is near head of the class. Ideally you should have a medium sized canister filter on each tank. Eheim 2217 or Filstar XPL are both excellent filters. The canisters would handle bio filtration, you could make the Whispers into strictly mechanical with sponge/floss combinations. There are other ways to improve nutrition without pellets. Fresh fish, shrimp. Quality freeze drieds like krill and tubifex worms. Live earthworms and mealworms.

haha okay got it. :laugh: And yep, they do enjoy fresh fish and shrimp. I stand in line at the fish deli just to get them that stuff when they get bored with the freeze-dried baby shrimp in a can.. And my Red O loves plain double cheeseburgers from McDonald's but I wasn't supposed to tell you that. :whistle: It's the only time I see him in a good mood. I will look into the filters and check out what you were saying about the hand-safety issue. I am using rubber gloves right now (triple-sterilized in hot water)...he seems to not like the color (purple) and he finally let me do a pretty good vacuuming yesterday and today. Eyes are now 75% better. Thank you so much for all your help. When I get a better cell phone, I will take photos of both of my guys and you'll be able to see my big Tiger. He's gorgeous. And a big goof-ball. :silly: :laugh: Thanks again!

• Marie0717
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Marie0717 replied the topic: Strange white "line" going across my Oscar's eyes ??

UPDATE: Hi all, I'm back. Hope this thread isn't buried yet, I took a look at my Red O's eyes today, good/bad news. His right eye is almost completely perfect now, it went from a white line going across it (pics) - to now just a tiny, white speck. Really, you'd need a magnifying glass to see it. So right eye is fine now. However, his left eye has what looks like a perfectly round white circle right on the surface, it is no longer a line, just a small almost see-through white circle (very small) near the beginning of his eye, not directly over the iris, more to the part nearing his nose/head. I guess you could say it looks like a small cataract. :unsure: I DON'T KNOW. Did a very large water change, and he seems to be able to see fine. I just don't like that it changed shapes like that. Both white lines were disappearing, and now one turned into a circle. :S Just waiting it out to see what happens, hoping water changes will help. This all showed up right after the transfer, still thinking trying to catch him may have injured his eyes (he was darting around a lot and bumping into things before I could actually catch him - he's SO fast.) If things look worse, I will get another photo. I used my Mom's phone last time because mine sucks. Thanks all, I'll be around.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Strange white "line" going across my Oscar's eyes ??

good to know there was an improvement in the right eye... sooner, left eye will follow....
the gravity of damage does not always equal... perhaps, left eye has more burn than the right eye..
trying to catch the fish will stress it more and can induce more harm than good.
i suggest not to disturb him any further until fully healed.

• Marie0717
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

DRACO wrote: good to know there was an improvement in the right eye... sooner, left eye will follow....
the gravity of damage does not always equal... perhaps, left eye has more burn than the right eye..
trying to catch the fish will stress it more and can induce more harm than good.
i suggest not to disturb him any further until fully healed.

:) Yep, that's the plan. Just keeping up with water changes and simply leaving him alone to let him know he is safe again and eventually (and hopefully) will become stress-free and accustomed to his new tank. Thanks DRACO
He's doin' okay for now. ;)

i have a 28" silver aro in a 75 gal tank... whenever he consumed 6 pcs x 6" herring and forgot to do water change the following day, he developed that cataract type white stuff in the eyes on the 3rd day... immediately do water change ... and the white stuff is gone the following day... i intentionally did it again to see what will happen, i always see those white stuff at the eyes the following day every after a big meal if did not do water change...

this is why i believe it is an ammonia burn that could occur in a matter of overnight after the big meal!

• Marie0717
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

DRACO wrote: i have a 28" silver aro in a 75 gal tank... whenever he consumed 6 pcs x 6" herring and forgot to do water change the following day, he developed that cataract type white stuff in the eyes on the 3rd day... immediately do water change ... and the white stuff is gone the following day... i intentionally did it again to see what will happen, i always see those white stuff at the eyes the following day every after a big meal if did not do water change...

this is why i believe it is an ammonia burn that could occur in a matter of overnight after the big meal!

I agree, and it's funny you mention that. I fed him a few pieces of fish and then a couple of them sunk to the bottom (I wish Oscars would pick at the gravel food the way other fish do, but they don't. At least mine don't.) Anyway, I was about to turn their lights out and deal with the sunken fish pieces the next day, but then I thought about his left eye, and I got this terrible feeling that it would look worse if I didn't immediately get in there, vacuum it up, and do a water change while I'm at it. I'm glad I did it. Just sometimes you don't feel like it, esp. when you've just done a water change and it seems like it was all for nothing. But I still did it. One tank wasn't bad -- but TWO, it's a pretty big job now. But hey, whatever it takes to keep them healthy. ;)
Thanks DRACO and Suprd71 for all your help and advice in this thread...and Happy Easter. :)
I will keep you all updated, he was looking pretty good today, fingers crossed.

well, experience is the best teacher.... i even had learned to determined the water quality by just observing the fish when doing water quality test in time... weekly, 2 weeks interval, 3 weeks interval until the fish is breathing briskly... from thereon, any of my fish is my test kit... any changes in habit or breathing... water change is a must! any undesirable changes like cloudy or smear in the eyes, water change immediately!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marie0717

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds