Oscar out of water unknown time

• Matty123
  • Matty123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Matty123 created the topic: Oscar out of water unknown time

Hi all, I've had my for about 2 years. I woke up this morning and found her on the carpet about 3 feet from the tank, completely lifeless. I have no idea how long she was out for, she jumped out between 2 am and 7 am. I picked her up and put her back in the tank, she didn't struggle at all so I think she was out quite a while.

Basically there was a tiny bit of Gill movement and after about 10 minutes she flicked, but was still lifeless on the bottom and barely breathing.

I had to go to work for a few hours but have come home early to find her somewhat sitting up, she kind of rolls on her side then swims a little to get back up. She looks really awful, very ragged and her eyes are a little cloudy but the eyes are responding to me so she's still there.

What I'm wanting to ask, am I being cruel right now in trying to get her through, am I prolonging her inevitable passing? I'm a little heart broken as she's my baby, so just want what's best and most humane for her. I just signed up so I'll try to work out how to attach a picture.

Thank you in advance for your help
Matty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Matty123
  • Matty123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Matty123 replied the topic: Oscar out of water unknown time

Quick update, she seems to be recovering somewhat. She is sitting at the bottom of the tank still, but if I go near the tank she goes absolutely ballistic with open mouth, flared gills and rams the glass. She's always been aggressive but this is like nothing I've seen. I'm thinking it might be best to throw a blanket over the tank so she doesn't get unnecessary stressed.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar out of water unknown time

It seems she will be ok, but not guaranteed. The main issues would be swim bladder damage from the fall, and skin,scale, slimecoat loss from being out of water. The very best thing you can do is offer lots of clean water. I would do an aggressive water change schedule for a week or so. Something like 75% every 2 days. If she swims ok and doesn't appear to have physical damage, odds are pretty good I think. Clean water is ALWAYS a good path forward, injury, illness or not

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds