Need Some Advice - Oscar plucking the scales

• S.S.
  • S.S.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. created the topic: Need Some Advice - Oscar plucking the scales

My 8 month old Oscar is plucking the scales, probably rubbing himself in the Woods. I never saw it doing so but that's what I think is happening. I only have 2 pieces of wood and lots of swimming space. I have another Oscar and some other fish. Water quality is always very good with a weekly 75% WC keeping nitrates below 20ppm.

This Oscar when he was a baby he had for some time fins rotting, but has he grow up that stopped and only on the last two months as shown this behaviour that makes him look like a mess (photo attached) and makes the bottom of the tank a cemetery of scales. The fin rotting is also visible again.

Is this some kind of disease or only his behaviour that leads to this result?

What should I do, take out the woods and leave no decoration at all for all the fish, something I wouldn't like to maintain for ever or take him out putting him alone in a tank with no decoration to see how it goes?

heres the link to my tank topic: www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/18-photographs-a-videos/307754-my-ots-oscarland-400lts?start=30
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Need Some Advice - Oscar plucking the scales

When fish rub themselves up against things normally a sign that something may be irritating the skin, may be a parasitic infection, or a bacterial infection of the skin that is causing an irritation to the fish.

If it's white spot then you will normally see what looks like sprinkles of salt on the skin. However, if it's something like a bacterial or fungal infection then you really need to look at a skin script under a microscope. I know that seems quite dramatic, but if you think about it, if you took your dog or cat to the vet because those something wrong with the skin then that is exactly what they would do, there isn't anything different with a fish. Problem is, fish are not easy to treat and a lot of veterinarians are unwilling to help.

Try taking the wood out and see what the fish does. If it has got an irritation then it will just scrape itself on the substrate.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

S.S. replied the topic: Need Some Advice - Oscar plucking the scales

Thanks Pen.

I'm reluctant to take out the wood. It would be best to take him out for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. If there's some kind of infection I'll probably have to treat him in another tank anyway. Or if it gets to a treatment, should all tank be treated? What do you think?

It's not ictium or white spots. What affects him to act like that is not visible. In this case what may be the most effective medicine to use?

Could he have this since the beginning and it was a bit undercover for some time and now appeared again in full strength? I remember he had before rotten fins even with pristine water.

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

One concern if I take him out to another tank is if after that will he be accepted or accept his mattes has he does now... Big issue!

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Need Some Advice - Oscar plucking the scales

Any progress here? A treatment of Paraguard should be a big help.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

I took him out to another tank with no decoration last week and he is getting all scales again but he stopped eating 3 days ago, he takes the food and spits it out, so ill stop feeding for a few days and will apply paraguard to see if the scales and fins problem is properly and definitively solved.

About the eating I think he is just upset to be in a new, smaller and uninteresting tank. Hope that in a few days he starts eating again and later I'll try to give him back to the main tank, inspite it worries me on how everybody else will react to him coming back to the tank, the other oscar was very friendly to him before as he was to the other guy, lest see how this will work.

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Update
Made the paraguard treatment and after that returned him to the main tank a few days later. The first day I thought the white Oscar was going to kill him and I was ready to take him out the next day... But... The next day they where friends again as ever.

The tiger is doing fine for now. No more scales on the bottom of the tank except the ones he lost the first day while running from the white and bumping in the wood.

Thanks for the advice.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds