Messed up and fed an infected fish

• Gemfire12
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Gemfire12 created the topic: Messed up and fed an infected fish

So i had two tanks of feeders for my oscar and i fed him a platy two days ago. Last night i salted the feeder tanks and this morning noticed what i can only assume is cammallanus worms sticking out of at least a quatar or my feeders. The platy i fed came from the infected tank (i cannot see any signs on the other fish in the other tank so far) now im stressed my oscar tabby is going to get these worms. The platys in the infected tank do not have worms sticking out but being cammallanus worms we all know every fish will be affected. The feeders have all been eating like pigs like normal untill one died 2 days ago( was a female and had prolasped giving birth and never fixed itself didnt think twice about it as it can happen having big bunch of fry but now i know it was probably worms and being pregnant that killed her). Most are earing fine still maybe 2 of 2 fish arent.Two more heavily pregant females have died now. Im going out today to get some medication. I think ive messed up big time. I have a 600l aquaponics setup outside and am worried i might have accidentally infected it too as i used a net to scoop stuff floating that i had used on the other inside tanks. So I'll be dosing a 600l aquaponics tank, a 400l oscar tank and the guppy and platy feeder tanks one is 60l which is the one heavily infested that i think i will just close down and euthanize if they dont make a quick recovery. If i dose my oscar now do you think he has a good chance? Im dosing all tanks for precautions im hoping maybe i can catch early in the other tanks i have a chance. Any info/input would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 600

Suprd71 replied the topic: Messed up and fed an infected fish

You need meds containing, spelling may be off here but its close, flubendazole or febdenazole. Not to chastise, but this is one very valid reason why feeder fish are a high gamble to use in the cichlid tank. Home raised or not there is always a risk of parasite and pathogen infestation

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Gemfire12
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Gemfire12 replied the topic: Messed up and fed an infected fish

Ive dosed the tank just after that message.
I've been brerding these guppies and platys for a year, i've never added new fish or plants. Never fed them livefood only pellets and flakes. I don't understand. The only thing i can think of is he has actually had them from when i bought my him from the shop about 4 months ago and i accidentally infected my other fish from his tank. Im so upset. Since dosing the tank i can now see 1 red worm sticking out from him which i couldnt see the other day. He looks fine. He is definitely growing as is his tank buddy a pleco. He is feeding good. Always waiting for his food. Swimming around happy which makes me feel better. Ive lost a few guppies but they have been massive pregant females all the males and young fry and fish are ok. Just so upset at all this. I hope his ok and pulls through the next few weeks of treatment.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 3.248 seconds