HITH might be fatal, Water help!

• alyssa1025
  • alyssa1025's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

alyssa1025 replied the topic: Re:HITH might be fatal, Water help!

Thank you for your input. I will probably be removing it asap.

Can anyone tell me how long I should wait after doing a water change before testing again?

Also, I have some algae building up in my 2 large hoses connecting to my filter. Is this something I need to clean out ASAP or is it not hurting anything?

Thanks again

Alyssa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:HITH might be fatal, Water help!

I dont think it matters how long you wait to test, but if you are not sure give it an hour for the new water to mix in with the old

I clean my filter tubes every time i clean the filter. I use a thing that looks like a little toilet brush connected to a long flexible length of plastic. I think it was made to clean eheim tubes but it works for my fluvals. Before i did this i used to swill some water into it. A build up in the filter tubes will reduce the flow and therefore the efficiency of your filters so it is a good idea to clean or wash them out every so often

I can't get no sleep

• alyssa1025
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

thank you!

Ok, I did a 25-30% water change & re-tested about 2 hrs later. The current readings are:

PH 6.6
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

Everything went down but I know the Ammonia needs to be a 0. Should I just wait & do another water change in 48hrs or add something else to the water?

Thanks again for your help

Alyssa

Those readings are a little odd, did you add the stress zyme. Apparently when you add the stress zyme it changes the ammonia into a harmless form so it still shows up on the tests but it is actually nothing to worry about. Does it mention this on the bottle, OFL has used this so he should be able to help on when water changes are needed

If you have not added the stress zyme i would do water changes everyday until ammonia and nitrite are both zero

Keep an eye on the nitrate, the rule with nitrate is below 20 is ideal, below 40 is acceptable. I do water changes once a week and when i test i always test before i do water changes as this is when the nitrate will be at it maximum. My tester has colours in stages corresponding to 0, 12.5 ,25, 50, 100. If it at the 25 colour point then i am happy

I can't get no sleep

• alyssa1025
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I did add the stress zyme when doing the water changes. The ammonia did go down, but it's definitely not showing 0, though it may actually be at 0 as you said.

My test kit for the ammonia goes 0ppm, 0.25ppm , 0.50ppm, 1.0ppm, 2.0ppm, 4.0ppm & 8.0ppm.

I will be doing another water change in a little under 24 hrs. & hopefully will have the readings I need to go ahead & give them some more meds. I might just be seeing things, but it seems as though the oscar that was worse off looks slightly better. But I'm not sure if they can heal that quickly.

Thanks

Alyssa

The fact you added stress zyme would explain the odd readings. I have never used stress zyme but i understand it changes ammonia into a form that is non toxic to fish, but your bacteria in your filter will still live of off it, so your ammonia readings should go down over time. If you do a water change add some more stress zyme equal to the amount of water changed

I can't get no sleep

• alyssa1025
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I've done 3 water changes this week, 1 day in between each & my readings are now:

Ammonia .50
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

1.) My ammonia was .25 the day before, now it's gone up after a water change? Could this be a false reading because of the stress zyme?

2.) I thought it was near impossible to get your Nitrate reading down to 0? Is this right?

Lastly, Is it safe to give them their second round of Medication? I really want to make sure it's ok, but I also want to give it to them ASAP if it is, so if you read this & you know the answer please help!

Thanks so much!!!!

Alyssa

Shivana replied the topic: Re:HITH might be fatal, Water help!

alyssa1025 wrote:

I have treated them with 2 doses of 250mg of Metronidazole & 75mg of Praziquantel which is one full course of treatment according to the pkg.

Did you get the medication from a pet store? The dosage and treatment schedule don't sound right, and Praziquantel is a dewormer.

• alyssa1025
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I did get the medication from Petsmart. It's by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals & it's called "General Cure". It's actually supposed to be able to be used for several different problems. My understanding is that even though it contains Praziquantel & they don't have worms, it's entirely safe for all fish no matter if they have that problem or not, or even if they are totally healthy.

As for the dosage, I didn't put that it's per packet. The box contains 10 packets, each packet contains 250mg of Metronidazole & 75mg of Praziquantel, so for my tank I had to give them 5 packets, wait 48 hours, give them the other 5 packets, then wait another 48 hours & do a water change & add the carbon filter back to remove the medicine from the tank.

These are the instructions as printed exactly on the back of the box:

For best results remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter & continue aeration. For each 10 gallons (38L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat does after 48 hours. Wait another 48 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge. Two doses required for full treatment."

Are you in the US?

Here is a picture of the meds:

Alyssa
Attachments:

Shivana replied the topic: Re:HITH might be fatal, Water help!

Well I'm a Vet Tech in the US, and I know that with most antibiotics treatment is supposed to be done daily for at minimum for a week straight. I spoke with my doctor about the treatment and he recommended the minimum dosage (250mg Metro per 10 gal) for at least a week. I'm on day 3 right now with a 25% H2O change before each treatment, All of the fish right now SEEM happier and healthier but I'm going to continue the treatment for at least the recommended week.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds