Oscar will not eat!!!!

• oscarowner
  • oscarowner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

oscarowner created the topic: Oscar will not eat!!!!

I have been in contact with penn about this subject but thought i would post it to see if anyone else has experienced this.

I have a 6 month old tiger oscar that will not eat,it has been atleast 2 weeks since he last ate anything.i used to feed him feeders but stopped and switched to pellets.he was fine and then all the sudden he stoped eating...not sure what to do now.
i have tested and tested the water and it is fine.nitrate and ammonia are 0.ph is good.got a 60 gallon filter in a 44 gallon tank..
if anyone has any ideas on how to make him eat let me know.
not sure how much longer he will live with no food.

thanks,

oscar owner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Oscar will not eat!!!!

Had a good look at your fish, is it breathing heavily? Also, is there any swelling in the abdomen at all?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Petey replied the topic: Re:Oscar will not eat!!!!

OscarOwner is my dad just so ya know.

As far as i can tell there is no swelling in the abdomen. He seems to be breathing fine. We keep running water tests and balancing everything out. The only problems seems to be elivated Ammonia levels and Ph levels (we are currently correcting those) but other than that everythings fine.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Regarding the pH levels. Your pH will be what comes out of your tap. However, pH will change gradually in the fish tank according to certain factors such as how many fish you've got, what type of substrate and rock you may have, and how many plants you've got. Exactly what is your pH at the moment? To be quite honest with you, I think you're wasting your time using chemicals, every time you do a water change, your pH will go back to what it comes out of the tap out. You're probably better off using some kind of buffer, this can work in certain circumstances. Certain types of rock and especially wood can help keep the pH at the lower end which is what you want really.

Ammonia problems are due to the fact that the tank is either not cycled, you are feeding too much, you are not removing uneaten food, you have plant debris that isn't being removed, you've got a dead fish you don't know about, you are cleaning media out under tap water, or you've got too many fish in a too small tank.

It's good to see that the fish is neither breathing heavily, or got a swollen abdomen. Just keep an eye on these things, let's hope they don't occur.

• oscarowner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

oscarowner replied the topic: Re:Oscar will not eat!!!!

he does breath heavy sometimes and sometimes not....the ph is high about 7.0...been adding chems to lower it but it doesent lower....

so i should stop the chemical?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Your pH is neutral which is absolutely perfect and certainly not anywhere near high, stop the chemicals. Oscars are okay with pH up to 8.0. When exactly does he breathe heavily? Try and think about it carefully, is it in conjunction with anything you are doing at the time? Oscars can breathe heavily for various reasons. The two main reasons lack of oxygen in the water, and toxins present in the water. They can also breathe heavily if they are stressed, this could possibly be after water changes.

• oscarowner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

im gonna say that he was stressed cause now he isant breathing heavily and is just floating around....acting normal just hasent eatin in 3 weeks....hmmmmmmmm has good orange color but pale everywhere else not sure if thats a sign of anything?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

The colour of a fish can certainly be a sign that something isn't quite right. The fact that it hasn't eaten isn't going to help. Are you trying to feed it every day? Maybe you should leave it for two days without trying to feed at all. Maybe on Tuesday put two or three pellets in and see what happens. Maybe it's just worth a try.

• oscarowner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ok man i will do that.thanks again for your time.im about to just let him be and see what happens been trying to get him to eat has stressed me and the ole lady out probubly worse then him so yeah ill let it sit for a few days and see...

thanks again ill keep u up to date in this thread

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I must say that I have been in your position more than once. The sad fact is that quite often when a fish stops eating for as long as yours have, there is something seriously wrong with them. I don't want to worry you unduly I've lost fish on a few occasions after they have stopped eating for a while. In many cases, I think they've got serious internal problems. So what I'm trying to say is, if your fish doesn't start eating in the next week, I think you better prepare yourself for the worst rather than hoping for something that may never happen.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds