Oscar will not eat!!!!

• Thank you received: 0

metoo replied the topic: Re:Oscar will not eat!!!!

Just in addition to all the things Penn has already said: Do you remember what the Oscar's feces looked like shortly before and around the time he stopped eating? Probably won't look normal now anyway after he hasn't been eating for weeks.
Also, does/did he attempt to eat and spit it out again or just been ignoring food? Only asking in case he *might* have caught anything from the feeders you used back then. Doesn't mean the answer "yes" would necessarily mean a disease.

In the end, you and us here can only guess why your Oscar seems to be feeling unwell, if at all. And probably what you can do for now is what Penn said already, to give it a few days without feeding and then try again, along with good tank maintenance to get the ammonia to zero and the ph stable rather than messing with it, it's absolutely fine. I'm only wondering who told you a ph of 7 is not ok, sounds like what some ppl at a LFS would say so they can sell some chemicals.

Only other thing I could think of would be to take some feces (if he still produces any at all) and have a vet examine that.

Let's still hope it is nothing really serious, good luck and keep us posted.

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oscarowner
  • oscarowner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

oscarowner replied the topic: Re:Oscar will not eat!!!!

I agree totally.im gonna try to feed him in 2 day and then i guess i just wait.....well i bought this new tank n stuff for him so ill just have to get another or maybe a yellow cichlid...

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Oscar will not eat!!!!

Actually, metoo has brought up a very good point. I mention internal problems, this could be bacterial, or it could be parasitic infestation. Look out for white or yellow faeces, sometimes stringy. If you do see this, there is a possible parasitic internal investigation. The biggest problem with treating fish is that some of the medication needed to treat these conditions must be ingested. You normally add this to foods such as beef heart for instance. The problem is, if the fish has stopped eating, it's difficult to get these medications into them. So, that's why many fish that won't eat, often don't survive.

Metoo is also mentioned taking faecal samples to a vet. This is possible but you have to be quick about it so you have to make sure the vet is ready.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• oscarowner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

He has finally ate a few pellets and some frozen blood worm cubes...thats awsome and i hope whatever was wrong has passed..well we know an oscar can go at least 3 weeks with no food :P:P

metoo replied the topic: Re:Oscar will not eat!!!!

WOOHOO! :)
That's great news, so let's hope he'll be back to his greedy self soon. (Not that you said he used to be greedy, but he's an Oscar after all.) I'd like to know why he refused to eat but guess he won't tell.

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

• oscarowner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

hopefully he will keep eating.i also would like to know what was wrong with him.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds