pop eye

• delboybully
  • delboybully's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37

delboybully created the topic: pop eye

I got back from my hols on friday and one of my oscars has pop-eye in one eye. I did extra water changes before i went away and measured the food out into daily pots for the person feeding my fish. The results for the water test when i got back on the friday were ammonia and nitrite 0 and nitrate 25. I did a water change(50%) on the friday after doing the test and another one on tuesday. I started treating with myxazin(anti-bacterial) but only had 3 days worth of treatment. I restarted treatment yesterday(weds). The oscar was eating until yesterday(weds), i added the treatment after feeding the fish. When i got back on the friday he was breathing normally but he started breathing heavily on tues. Sometimes he hangs about on the bottom yet at other times he swims about normally. There is no aggression in the tank. The pop-eye isnt getting worse but it isnt getting better either. Other than treating with myxazin and doing extra water changes, does anyone have any suggestions on anything else i can do

I can't get no sleep

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:pop eye

Sounds as if you are doing all the right things. Water changes, tests etc. Is the fish still breathing heavily? There is always the possibility that the medication has something to do with the fish breathing heavily. When medicating the tank, I think it's always a good idea to make sure plenty of oxygen goes into the water so if you've got a spare powerhead, or an air stone, I would suggest using it. You are certainly using the correct medication for Popeye so it's just a case of monitoring the situation. Fingers crossed for you

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• delboybully
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

delboybully replied the topic: Re:pop eye

Did another 50% water change tonight.

I have 4 6inch air stones running (i like the bubbles look) and an outlet from a filter that is rippling the surface so lack of oxygen is not a problem. I hope the heavy breathing is caused by the medication however the other fish are unaffected

The worrying thing for me is that i have had this sort of thing twice before. Once when my jaguar had both eyes swell up and go cloudy and he survived and another time an oscar had one swollen eye and he didnt recover and died. Its the not eating that worries me. The really annoying thing is you do everything right (water changes, correct filtration and big weekly water changes) and these things can still happen. Thats what you get when you keep livestock i suppose. Will keep you informed on progress

I can't get no sleep

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:pop eye

Fingers crossed for you Del boy, I have got a couple of bloody good disease and health problem books here, I'll have a good look tomorrow and see if I can find anything else I hadn't thought of.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• delboybully
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Thanks OFL

I can't get no sleep

• delboybully
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Before i went out last night(sat) the ill oscars heavy breathing had slowed down, and unfortunately when i got back he had died. I am gutted, he was a beautiful fish.

Today i went out and bought another albino and a red oscar to grow on. They are in the bag acclimatising to the tanks temperature at this moment. I cant wait until they are big enough to go in the big tank

I can't get no sleep

• Thank you received: 0

metoo replied the topic: Re:pop eye

:( :( :(
So sorry to hear that, Delboy. Had wished I knew something else to do about it, but it sure sounded like you were trying everything anyway.

Good luck with the new Oscars though!

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

• delboybully
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

I have found out the cause of the problem. My nitrate tester was giving a false reading. I was using a tetratest kit and it had nearly run out so i had already bought a new tester. This time i bought an api test. The old test showed nitrate 25, the new one 40 and this was after the extra water changes i had done. The old tester was not out of date but i noticed a crack in the lid of one of the bottles so i am guessing this is the cause. I shall being paying a lot more attention to my testers from now.

I can't get no sleep

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds