Oscar eating very little?

• oscarowner
  • oscarowner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

oscarowner created the topic: Oscar eating very little?

Well penn as i told you he did eat some blood worms and pellets.still he may eat 1 pellet a day maybe everyother day.
what is his deal?
why is he not wanting food still?
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
ph 7-8
ammonia still a lil elevated but been keeping it down with chemical and water changes every 3 days
i put start zyme in but it seems to be takeing awhile to get the bio filter going...
what u think?

:unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Oscar eating very little?

I can't give you an absolutely conclusive answer to why your fish isn't eating, it's very difficult to determine this in these situations. Water quality often plays a part though. Exactly what is your ammonia. There aren't any chemicals that actually remove ammonia as far as I know, they will detoxify it though. For this reason, you will still get a reading of ammonia although it shouldn't be toxic. How long is your nitrate levels stayed at zero? I don't mean to sound patronising but are you absolutely sure that you are doing the test properly. If you don't shake the bottle and vial for long enough on some tests, you'll get a false reading, often zero.

Your Oscar is eating, okay not much but at least he is eating. It's when they completely stopped eating for long periods of time, that's when there could be problems. Just hang in there, get your water sorted out and hopefully everything should be okay:)

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• oscarowner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

oscarowner replied the topic: Re:Oscar eating very little?

ok man ill keep my eyes on him and wait..also ill check to see that i am doin the test right and see what i get. ill let u know.thanks again

Margaret150 replied the topic: Re:Oscar eating very little?

I just wanted to add that my oscar too for the past 3 days has not eaten. Three days ago he was really looking sad. No signs of disease or anything. And... my water readings are all where they belong and are being done correctly, lol. Today he/she is swimming about and appearing alot more normal however "still" not eating. I know he had a clown loach about 5 days ago. Maybe, he got hurt ??. Everyone, else in the tank is fine. Someone, also told me to give the fish frozen peas incase it was constipated ?
But they didn't even go for it. Anyways, I hope all turns out well with your fish.

Margaret150 replied the topic: Re:Oscar eating very little?

Well, its my oscars 4th day and he still does not want to eat. Hes up and about swimming around, looks good but does not go for the food. He is doing something that resembles the potty but its not brown its clear (?) Anyways, I will continue to check my water levels. I just wish I knew what was up with him. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• oscarowner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

oscarowner replied the topic: Re:Oscar eating very little?

when my oscar stopped eating it took forever to get him to start again.he went 3 weeks before he ate anything..now all i can get him to eat are frozen bloodworm cubes.and still doesent eat alot..but a lil is better then nothing.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds