Help! My oscar is beating my other oscar up!

• lkozik200
  • lkozik200's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

lkozik200 created the topic: Help! My oscar is beating my other oscar up!

Your site is wonderful, but I am totally clueless about this. My husband and I have had our oscars about 6 months, they have grown up together. They live in a 55 gallon aquarium and are about 6 inches long. The one that we think is a girl, Opal, is coming up to the "male", Oscar and biting his sides! We thought they might be mating, but then we thought they were too young. My husband is on the way with a water test kit, but that still won't explain the aggression. She is relentless in her attacks, and he is starting to lay on his side. Today, I separated them, and he seems to be in better spirits. I also think they may have pop eye! Please help!
Thank you so much!

This to shall pass!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

metoo replied the topic: Re:Help! My oscar is beating my other oscar up!

Welcome to the site! It's just too bad it has to be with Oscars in trouble.

I have no experience with popeye, just wanted to say it was a good thing to separate your Oscars in my opinion. Some just won't get along once they mature. It can also happen with cichlids that if one is weakened for some reason (illness or whatever), the other may sense that and try to "take over". Even pairs do some "low-level-fighting" to test eachother's strength. Also, a 55 is really small for 2 Oscars in the long run.

Once your husband is home and you have tested your water, please tell us the results, along with some more information on your setup (filtration?), usual tank maintenance and so. I believe popeye can have various reasons, from poor water quality over a mechanical damage to whatever diseases.
A pic could be helpful as well if you can manage.

Hope your beaten up Oscar recovers a bit more already till then, good luck anyway!

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

• lkozik200
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

lkozik200 replied the topic: Re:Help! My oscar is beating my other oscar up!

Thank you so much for the info! I will let you know the readings when he gets here. Thanks again!

This to shall pass!

• lkozik200
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ok, he came home with a 5 in 1 test kit, here are the results:
PH - 6
No2 - 0
No3 - 80
GH - 120-180
KH - 40
He also brought home some Maracyn-Two. It says it helps with Dropsy, Septicemia, Popeye, and Fin and Tail rot. After I get some more info about the popeye issue we will add if that is what we need to do. We just got the 55 gallon tank for about a month and a half. We used a suction tube thing that cleaned the bottom gravel about a week ago. It also took about half of the water out of the tank. We have a double filter system, I am pretty sure it is a whisper filter. The "female" Opal is doing fine. What is making me sad is that they are placed right next to each other and they are swimming up and down together in their separate tanks. I feel bad to separate them, but I am not going to have her biting him like this! What in the world is going on?:unsure:

This to shall pass!

Vbaby replied the topic: Re:Help! My oscar is beating my other oscar up!

this is just my opinion butt 55gal is to small 4 two oscars they are possibly growing bigger and fighting over territory issues.once seperated you will find that they are both happier but in the long run u need to invest in a 75gal min for the two of them as in another few months they will be even bigger and fight if space requirments are not up to their liking.

DONT BUY ON IMPULSE DO SUM HOMEWORK FIRST

metoo replied the topic: Re:Help! My oscar is beating my other oscar up!

Yes, they will grow out that tank. I still think though you could try to put them together once again at least in a while, with supervision. It is often with territorial fish that the one that has been in the tank longer considers it as its territory, and another one added would be in the weaker position of an intruder then and behave better.
You certainly don't want them to beat up each other, the beaten up one will either die from the injuries or the stress in the end.

About the water parameters:
Boy, I thought my water was hard, yours sounds like pure rock to me, lol. PH shouldn't get any lower IMO, that's quite acidic already, so please keep an eye on that.
What really worries me is the nitrates (NO3) though: waayyy too high. You want to keep the nitrates in your tank below 40 ppm in any case, preferably lower than 20 ppm.
That means for you carrying out some repeated bigger water changes now with water of about the same temp as it's in the tank, plus water conditioner. I'd do one of about 30-40% daily until the nitrate levels are acceptable. At least the tank seems to be cycled, although we don't know anything about ammonia.

Do you know for sure the Oscars have popeye? And both of them or only the beaten up one?

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

• lkozik200
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Both of them look as though their eyes are bulging, but the one that is getting beat up looks the worse. We live in the US, so this morning when I got up, the beat up one looks ok. They both seem happier now that they are separated. I really hate this too. I guess after Oscar heals, we will put them back together under supervision. We are going back to the pet store today to price some bigger tanks. I really appreciate everyone's feedback on this. This web site has been a life saver, especially for Oscar! Thanks again, and i will keep you posted on our water tests.

This to shall pass!

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Help! My oscar is beating my other oscar up!

I had a similar problem when i added an oscar i resuced. One oscar battered the new fish. So i put a divider in(i put some background on the divider so they couldnt see each other). I left it 2 weeks and then put the aggressive fish in the other side with the new fish. They fronted each other up sometimes but there was no more damage. After 5 days i removed the divider and they got on fine until i got the rescued fish rehomed

A word about your nitrates. As meetoo says you need to keep these ideally below 20 but below 40 is acceptable. Invest in your own nitrate testing kit and test weekly. If its too high you need to either do more/bigger water changes or feed less. Only feed what they will eat in 3 mins

My experience of pop-eye is not good. I have had it 3 seperate times. One fish survived and the other 2 times they died. If fact i lost one last night to it. Good luck

I can't get no sleep

• lkozik200
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ok, we went back to Petsmart today and swapped out the stuff that my husband had originally got (he got home and the box was empty, someone had stolen the product and left the box, go figure). What we got was Maracyn-TC. That was all they had. It says it's for Popeye, Gill Disease, and Fin and Tail Rot. We have set up two sick tanks, and we have added the medicine in each one. Since our water levels are out of wack, we got something to help with the hardness. Can we add that to the sick tanks too? I figured since they have been in that hard water for this long, five more days shouldn't hurt. I just don't know. I think the water condition before is why we got in the shape we are in. Please help!
Thanks!

This to shall pass!

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Help! My oscar is beating my other oscar up!

Oscars can talk a variety of water conditions. I dont think the hard water is your problem, i reckon it is your high nitrates. Treat with the pop-eye stuff you bought along with plenty of water changes and keep your fingers crossed

I can't get no sleep

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds