DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

• Thank you received: 35

Kaiser replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

Based from your earlier post, you started this roughly around 3 months so I guess that's how long it takes for the roots to grow massive? But how long does it take for a difference in nitrates to be noticeable? I know I can't expect it to take effect overnight but I'm just wondering if I will notice any difference in a week or so. I didn't include any roots to the plants I used, just cuttings. It's just sitting on top of my ceramic rings inside both my Penguin 350.

Here is how it looks now:

Attachment IMG_20110825_190604.jpg not found

Did I do that right? :blush:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

looks good so far. :)

I believe people have reporting noticing a reduction in nitrates with in a week.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Thank you received: 35

Kaiser replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

Great, thanks! :)
I'm crossing my fingers and hopes this works.

• Thank you received: 4

PiCkLeFiSh replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

My pothos plant that I had floating around in the tank took about 2 1/2 weeks to start to even show signs of roots starting. It has only taken a week since then for roots to grow about 3-4 inches with smaller shoots starting to emerge off them.

I think the plant may have to get used to pulling nutrients from water rather than soil. Could be wrong though.

• scfalconry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Live, Learn & Share!
  • Thank you received: 7

scfalconry replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

2&1/2 months into the submerged Pothos..... I've done no water changes in that time! Things still looking good in the Oscar tank and the Community tank. Nitrates are consistently 5ppm+/- Have had a few pothos leaves dies from time to time... but new leaves unfurling at same rate or a tad faster.

Sorry haven't been around much lately... I have a new job! Also keeping busy with son's scout troop. Plan to drop in again to give another report soon.

Someone a few post back mentioned totally submerged Pothos... will eventually die off after 6 months. 6 months equal 26 weeks. If I can make it 26 weeks with NO WEEKLY PARTIAL WATER CHANGES... I'd would gladly buy 2 pothos plants a year at $10 each. :cheer:

In my community tank the plants float and the roots are EVERYWHERE... this is unsightly to some peoples taste. I kind of dig it.... reminds me of snorkeling in local lakes. The baby guppies definitely like the roots (to hide in)

In my oscar a tank the pothos roots are behind/under a large fake peice of driftwood.... which has a bubble wand in the root mass to pull water flow through the roots. Roots are for the most part not noticeable when viewing the tank.

I haven't tried covering roots with gravel yet.... maybe in a few more months when these plants die... I'll plant the new ones in the gravel (with UGF)

Stay fishy,
Marty

Green spotted puffers ARE NOT COMMUNITY FISH despite what the sales person at the LFS says.

• Thank you received: 4

Brandon replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

I posted that. I completely agree too. The cost effect is way better to just submerge them. But personally I like the HOB style. Just my preference. I have a ton and have some pothos right now in my 29 gal HOB. so Its just my thing. I feel I have more control with it that way. Good to hear everyone is doing good with this!

• Thank you received: 91

Capt Dave replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

I have had the pothos in a HOB filter for some time now. Just today I took them out and attached the cutting to the side of the glass with a suction cup. I researched that it will do a better job of pulling nitrates out of the water when there is not a huge flow. I'll report any difference in nitrates by weeks end

I have no idea why the water bill is so high

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

Capt Dave wrote: I have had the pothos in a HOB filter for some time now. Just today I took them out and attached the cutting to the side of the glass with a suction cup. I researched that it will do a better job of pulling nitrates out of the water when there is not a huge flow. I'll report any difference in nitrates by weeks end

interesting thought. i look forward to results.

much of what i read noted that the roots should be in a high flow area.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Thank you received: 17

Gazza replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

I have another plan :pinch: divert my 3 1" outlets to a 1000 lt rainwater tank with a return pump to the sump and have plants growing in the 1000lt tank :woohoo: and outside :P and the plus side if a power outage no floods inside :woohoo: :woohoo:

given time the plants should nearly cover all of the tank B)

Gaz

The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

I may give this a try too since I'm having nitrate problems, can this be done without a HOB filter?

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds