DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

• Mayhem
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • The answer to your question is WATER CHANGE
  • Thank you received: 21

Mayhem replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

MattsOscars wrote: I may give this a try too since I'm having nitrate problems, can this be done without a HOB filter?

From what I have read here you can put the plant just in the tank , after washing it off.

My other hobby is photography check some of my work on www.flickr.com/1snowboarder/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

Well I went and got some clippings, my folks have like a thousand of these so I'm going to try rooting them and see what happens, wish me luck!

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

• Thank you received: 91

Capt Dave replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

End of the week will be fri night so I will check nitrates then, although I will say the plant seems to be growing faster with the roots directly in the tank instead of the HOB...

I have no idea why the water bill is so high

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

Capt Dave wrote: End of the week will be fri night so I will check nitrates then, although I will say the plant seems to be growing faster with the roots directly in the tank instead of the HOB...

sounds good dave. i had my roots directly in the tank, as opposed to in the hob. the plants grew very well.

By the way, i took both of my plants from both tanks, and put them in one pot. i gave it to my mom when i moved away. she said the plant has been doing great (life outside the water)... i will post a pic when she sends it to me. :cheer:

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Cool. Hypotheses is that the nitrate reading will be the same... I like the natural look of the roots in the tank

Nitrate reading was essentially the same. Growth rate on the plants easily tripled tho...

good info Dave. thanks for the update.

Here is an update on my Golden Pothos plants. I originally purchased 2 Goldon Pothos plants from Home Depot. 1 went in the 90 gallon and one went in the 60 gallon (my 2 garage tanks). The plants lived in the tanks for about 7 months. The roots were complete sumberged inside the tank (near the outflows). I moved a couple of months ago and gave the plants to my mom before I left. (i placed both plants in one pot together and gave them to her) call it something for her to remember me by. :(

She sent me a pic today of the plants now! She says the plant is doing great! :cheer:
90 Gallon

60 Gallon

And the plants now:

Life outside of water. :lol:

• Thank you received: 4

PiCkLeFiSh replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

I have a pothos plant, three bamboo plants ( roots only submerged) and another aquatic plant I forget the name of in my tank. It takes exactly 1 week for the tanks nitrates to get inbetween 10 and 20ppm. I have tested this the last two weeks. Same routine. Every Monday is a 30% water change amen every other Monday is gavel vac. All other tank perameters are perfect.

• Thank you received: 35

Kaiser replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

It's been more or less a month since I've added pothos on my HOBs yet I haven't noticed any reduction in nitrates in my tank. My weekly nitrate reading still sits around 40-50ppm (our tap has 20ppm). Aside from no decrease in nitrate, I think the plants might also be lowering my pH (6). The reason I say that is because my other tank's pH is consistent with my tap water, which has 7. The only difference between them is my Oscar tank has the plants and the community tank has none.

I'm not sure what I did wrong or differently but I'm not having much success in this. :(

Kaiser wrote: It's been more or less a month since I've added pothos on my HOBs yet I haven't noticed any reduction in nitrates in my tank. My weekly nitrate reading still sits around 40-50ppm (our tap has 20ppm). Aside from no decrease in nitrate, I think the plants might also be lowering my pH (6). The reason I say that is because my other tank's pH is consistent with my tap water, which has 7. The only difference between them is my Oscar tank has the plants and the community tank has none.

I'm not sure what I did wrong or differently but I'm not having much success in this. :(

hmmm. interesting findings kaiser. one that your nitrates havent been lowered by the presence of the pothos. and two, that your tap water is 20 ppm. .... you must really go though a lot of "Prime".

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds