DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

  • Posts: 4502
  • Karma: 1
  • Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

rebeldawg124009 wrote: how about the potato, take a potato and hang it half in the water and it will grow " reg eating potato.

but when the sprout is growing out and the potato itself tart to rots,
additional bioload for the filter...

and i have this kind of plants that creep on the concrete... it grows well
in water... and i observed it absorbed nitrate faster than pothos!
#207550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 17
  • Thank you received: 0

Spoon replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

Got a few pictures. Also had this morning bad news that turned into good news. It looked like my overflow drain had slowed down for some reason, which of course is not cool. Anyway, turns out I had not gotten all the air completely bled out. Now it's keeping up w/ my pump at full capacity, so I'm running roughly 350-400gph through the grow bed now :cheer: .



And the local residents.
#207551

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 71
  • Thank you received: 2

JetFixxxer replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

I stuck a Golden Potho in my tank and it seems like it's working. So far no Ammonia and still waiting for the local shops to get some master test kits to test the rest. I might just buy it when I'm on the road next week.
#207946

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • OFL
  • OFL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Posts: 13309
  • Karma: 38
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

My 75 gallon sump filter is now a very efficient nitrate filter, as well as removing ammonia and nitrite. Whether I do the water change once a week, or every three weeks, my nitrates never rise above 20 ppm, in fact it is often lower.

How does this work you may ask? Well, it's actually a natural phenomena that happens inside the filter. Basically, as all the gunk and crap collects in the bottom of your sump, a lot of it finds its way into dead areas where there is no water flow. A certain kind of anaerobic bacteria which don't require oxygen to survive thrives in all the gunk. This particular type of bacteria consumes nitrates. So now you have a nitrates filter. Obviously you can't leave your filter for ever without cleaning it, I cleaned mine for the first time in a year on Sunday. I have got several outlets on my sump filter which means that I can clean individual chambers, rather than emptying them all out. This time around I cleaned the two chambers that contained my filter brushes and most of the gunk. Quite a lot of dirt did flow out, after all it's the years supply. Hopefully the gunk that has collected in the dead areas will still be there, therefore my nitrate filter will still be functioning.

What you've got to remember before trying this yourself is it's very very important that you have media grids installed properly. This basically means that even though you may get a lot of sediment and gunk building up in the bottom of the sump, water flow will never be restricted so everything will keep running no matter how much gunk builds up. Like I said, mine has not been emptied for over a year and the water flow has never been restricted. You've just got to make sure that you keep your mechanical filtration free from gunk all you will get restricted flow problems.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
#265513

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1514
  • Thank you received: 47

yaserloz replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

OFL wrote: My 75 gallon sump filter is now a very efficient nitrate filter, as well as removing ammonia and nitrite. Whether I do the water change once a week, or every three weeks, my nitrates never rise above 20 ppm, in fact it is often lower.

How does this work you may ask? Well, it's actually a natural phenomena that happens inside the filter. Basically, as all the gunk and crap collects in the bottom of your sump, a lot of it finds its way into dead areas where there is no water flow. A certain kind of anaerobic bacteria which don't require oxygen to survive thrives in all the gunk. This particular type of bacteria consumes nitrates. So now you have a nitrates filter. Obviously you can't leave your filter for ever without cleaning it, I cleaned mine for the first time in a year on Sunday. I have got several outlets on my sump filter which means that I can clean individual chambers, rather than emptying them all out. This time around I cleaned the two chambers that contained my filter brushes and most of the gunk. Quite a lot of dirt did flow out, after all it's the years supply. Hopefully the gunk that has collected in the dead areas will still be there, therefore my nitrate filter will still be functioning.

What you've got to remember before trying this yourself is it's very very important that you have media grids installed properly. This basically means that even though you may get a lot of sediment and gunk building up in the bottom of the sump, water flow will never be restricted so everything will keep running no matter how much gunk builds up. Like I said, mine has not been emptied for over a year and the water flow has never been restricted. You've just got to make sure that you keep your mechanical filtration free from gunk all you will get restricted flow problems.


boss do u have some picture for your sump ?
#265516

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • OFL
  • OFL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Posts: 13309
  • Karma: 38
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

I'll take some photos when I get my camera back from my mother who is away

However, my sump filter is actually housed next to my tank, rather than underneath.


I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
#265519

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1514
  • Thank you received: 47

yaserloz replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

OFL wrote: I'll take some photos when I get my camera back from my mother who is away

However, my sump filter is actually housed next to my tank, rather than underneath.


WOW that is huge no wonder u have a good water quality !!! . i bet there is a room for all kind of Bactria .
#265522

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Nina_W
  • Nina_W's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Posts: 7765
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

bump, for all our forum members with nitrate problems (especially nitrates in tap water).

Just a note, not doing water changes at all will lead to a build up of various salts, and eventually, a pH crash when your water's buffering capacity is depleted.
Also, the longer you leave off doing water changes, the more different your tap water and your tank water will be, making a water change more stressful on your fish than it needs to be.
So, keep up with the weekly changes!

For those of you with nitrate rich tap water, though, give the pothos a go - this thread surely shows it works, and works well :)

It would be great if some original pothos users would chime in with how it's going over a year later, too.
#285935

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 2
  • Thank you received: 0

doivuithe replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

I have 2 big pothos in my tank
But it seem doesn't work well like people in forum post
I don't understand why maybe i have to wait 2-3 month to get achivement
#286119

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 11056
  • Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

doivuithe wrote: I have 2 big pothos in my tank
But it seem doesn't work well like people in forum post
I don't understand why maybe i have to wait 2-3 month to get achivement


You don't have enough plants to notice the difference.
#286127
The following user(s) said Thank You: doivuithe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds