DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

• scfalconry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Live, Learn & Share!
  • Thank you received: 7

scfalconry replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

I've been looking around the net... and there are a lot of people fully submerging pothos in their aquariums. Might not work to well with an oscar... but apparently pothos will grow well if not thrive fully submerged. Several of the pages I went to said it was as simple as taking cutting and shoving it into the aquarium gravel... maybe placing a rock or decoration to anchor the new cutting.

Images from some of these sites:

Marty

Green spotted puffers ARE NOT COMMUNITY FISH despite what the sales person at the LFS says.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11

WylDe Billy replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

nice find !!! .. ill be shoving a cut down in the platy tank to see if it holds up over time

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

hmmmm. interesting.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

just bought some Pothos plants and stuck them in the HOBs will see what happens.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Thank you received: 26

Jdempsey replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

bassetman wrote: just bought some Pothos plants and stuck them in the HOBs will see what happens.

Been following this thread and thought id try it also. Stuck a pothos in my HOB ill give it some time to acclimate and see how it goes.

On a side note. Be sure to keep this plant away from children and pets for it is poisonus if ingested. Ive read dogs for some reason lick to gnaw on it. And since i have a house dog and children running around all over im making sure it does not grow over the HOB toward the ground within in reach of hands or mouths.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

all you peeps stuffing pythos plants in your tanks, keep us updated. i may be the next to try. :)

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Thank you received: 1

Loopy replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

Hey all,

I saw this post and had to add to the discussion.

I took a pothos plant I bought at Home Depot for 8 bucks, washed all of the dirt and fertilizer off of it, put the root ball in a large fishnet and plopped it right in the tank with the handle of the fishnet bent over the side of the tank to hold it in place. I didn’t have a nitrate problem before I did this but I was hoping to cut down on water changes. I’ll post test results next time I run them.

I did however have an algae problem and the pothos has cleared it ALL up! Both green and brown algae have diasapeared. The pothos must have sucked up all of the nutrients that the algae was using. It worked just like an algae scrubber. The pothos is growing incredibly fast.

Couple of things: I have a large tank (150 gallons) and only 2 oscars. On a smaller tank the plant might take up too much space. It’s also not the most attractive thing in the world. My tank is in the “man cave” so I don’t really care; if it was a display tank that was going to be seen by the public (the wife in my case) it probably wouldn’t fly.

Also, my fish don’t seem interested in the “bag o’ pothos” and have left it alone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scfalconry

Hello. Welcome to OFL. Thanks for your input. Glad to hear this has helped your algae prob. Keep us posted on further developments.;)

• Thank you received: 8

mathew-byrne replied the topic: Re: DIY Nitrate filter --- Solved????

Can someone tell me how I do this such an awesome idea what are some plants I can use and can I just put it in ante like said.

mathew-byrne wrote: Can someone tell me how I do this such an awesome idea what are some plants I can use and can I just put it in ante like said.

I think most use pothos. You can experiment with different plants and let the group know how it goes. If you read the link posted in the beginning of the thread and this whole thread you will find all the info on diff techniques people are trying.

Pretty simple. Basicly all you have to do is rinse the soil off the plant roots and stick them in your HOB. Pothos is a low light plant, this is why many prefer it. The light from my strip shines on it. I seriously doubt it will make much difference, since it is the wrong color spectrum for plant growth. Its all about experimentation.

I did not use anything to attach the roots to. Some use mesh others filter material. If you can think of something more effective give it a try. Post the results here for us all to compare and find the best way we can accomplish nitrate removal. Good luck.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds