Re-Sealing an Aquarium

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Re-Sealing an Aquarium

first time ive seen this thread. ... someone must have brought it bad from the dead.

but great right up jason! :)

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Bob G. replied the topic: Re: Re-Sealing an Aquarium

Suprd71 wrote:

Bob G. wrote: Why is it bad? I have nothing but time on my hands so something like this would give me something to do. lol

I built an 8ft 475 gal that turned out beautiful... but I couldnt get the f#$ker to hold water. I sold it as a terrarium. Was jk on the bad thread comment. Just me clowning around!

Oh lol Yeah, that sucks. That's one big tank. Too bad it wouldn't hold.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re: Re-Sealing an Aquarium

Bob G. wrote:

Suprd71 wrote:

Bob G. wrote: Why is it bad? I have nothing but time on my hands so something like this would give me something to do. lol

I built an 8ft 475 gal that turned out beautiful... but I couldnt get the f#$ker to hold water. I sold it as a terrarium. Was jk on the bad thread comment. Just me clowning around!

Oh lol Yeah, that sucks. That's one big tank. Too bad it wouldn't hold.

Yeah the idea was a big home for my growing CA's, without huge expense of a new buy. Now buying new anyways, so I got two kicks in the wallet. Oh well....

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Re-Sealing an Aquarium

You could have used the 475 as a spare room on your house for extra room for more tanks. :cheer:

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re-Sealing an Aquarium

bassetman wrote: You could have used the 475 as a spare room on your house for extra room for more tanks. :cheer:

Yer not helping me here! I need consolation, you know, nice try, better luck next time, stuff like that.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• spirogyra
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Texas Fry Cloud
  • Thank you received: 4

spirogyra replied the topic: Re-Sealing an Aquarium

I recently re-sealed a 60Gal which had glass separation in one corner due to not being level for a long period of time; doing this in several sessions so it would not become boring or tedious. I've done "re-seals" and "patch-jobs" on several different tanks. Patch jobs often fail. Smart people LEARN from failure, other people quit.

PREPPING IS KEY, DON'T ABORT THE PREP!

The key to success is thorough removal of old silicone with a razor blade; a wipe down of all seams to be sealed with a clean rag dampened with household ammonia (aka glass cleaner); let dry completely; blow out any remaining particulate debris from the tank with it sideways, using a piece of hose as a "blowtube" (airline is too small...use automotive vacuum line or similar gauge tubing or wait for a gust of wind if you're outside (kidding)) After the ammonia step do not touch the seam surfaces in any way...that's the point of the blowtube.

APPLY SILICONE TO ALL SEAMS QUICKLY and METHODICALLY without anybody under age 20 within a 300 foot radius of work area (the age limit is arbitrary, use your judgement...age 30 may be a better choice) (not for their safety; but for increasing the chances of a good job)

On a "big" tank some of the glue will begin to "skin" before application is complete.....no way to avoid it..just be quick and don't take any bathroom breaks just yet.

NOW! Using your BARE finger as a shaping tool make each joint concave and smooth looking. One continuous bead of glue without craters or gaps..a feathered edge will happen with this method. If you obsess over neatness of seams/amount of "glue," you are more likely to fail. Don't be stingy with the glue.....unused sealant often goes to waste anyhow. This will likely look messy. If that's a problem, buy new.

Much of this is redundant of the comprehensive thread starter, use it as a review. Feel free to call my lawyer. Now you can clean your finger.

PS bassetman's nature is to be helpful
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob G.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds