feelings on 3D backgrounds

• biggamehunter
  • biggamehunter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

biggamehunter created the topic: feelings on 3D backgrounds

hi guys im in the early stages of a new 180ukgal display tank for my livingroom and im toying with the idea of fitting it with a 3D background,i am making it myself as i have made 7 in the past but never had one in any of my own tanks,im not blowing my own trumpet but they are better than most you can buy (except for one company) and when i have the top strap off my new tank to fit my new "FILTER WALL" it will be an ideal oportunity to do it... if i am going to???
i would appreciate some feedback as it will be very dificult to remove once fitted and as i said i have never had one????????????????thanks to all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Parachromis...accept no substitute
  • Thank you received: 78

Necromancer4 replied the topic: Re:feelings on 3D backgrounds

ive alway been interested in the 3-d backgrounds. ive seen some designs that are great and would look good in anyones tank. the only reason i have yet to get one is simply because of the space it takes in the tank. i got large volume tank to house large fish and i cant see losing out on 2-3 inches off the width of my tank simply for a background. however when i build a new tank i will definetly take the space needed for a 3-d background into consideration and build accordingly

Warning..I will offend you at some point!!!

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:feelings on 3D backgrounds

There are some absolutely stunning 3-D backgrounds that you can buy commercially. However, they do cost a lot of money if you have a big tank. Obviously if you make your own and you can save your money. I don't think it's an overnight job making a stunning background, if you want rock for instance, I think you do you need to be a little artistic to get the look you want, these websites make it look really easy. However, there is a drawback as has already been said. Putting in a proper 3-D background that looks good will reduce the amount of water your tank holds considerably. But like necro has said, if you build a tank to accommodate it, you can include the extra space needed.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 0

marcus replied the topic: Re:feelings on 3D backgrounds

I have seen some that do look fantastic but the down side is cost for one. they are not cheap by any means. Also I wounder how durable they are. I have fake plants that do need to be replaced after a few yrs. would the background last longer?? I have not seen one that would fit my size tank but now you have got me interested so I will look about. If anyone has sites to look it could save me time.))))

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mohandas Gandhi

• biggamehunter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

biggamehunter replied the topic: Re:feelings on 3D backgrounds

back to nature are the top of the line ...but there are lots of others that are not so good,these are realy the only ones that are worth looking at

• biggamehunter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

i have started work on my 3D BACKGROUND i am going for sheet rock (like a quarry stone) i am quite far along with it just waiting for my aquarium silicone to arive to stick it all together,and my tin of fillafoam (expanding foam in a aerosol can)to use for mangrove roots over the rock backing!!!!!!! if anyone is interested i will post pics of construction through the different stages,

• Thank you received: 0

marcus replied the topic: Re:feelings on 3D backgrounds

yeah me. £500 quid to buy 1 to fit my tank from back to nature. thats a lot of beer ))))

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mohandas Gandhi

• PAUL
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

PAUL replied the topic: Re:feelings on 3D backgrounds

when i used to work in a hotel, i had assisted our
interior decorator in putting background in the live
fish aquarium. what he did in the 3D background materials,
he created a box to house the poster, placed it at the back
of the aquarium approximately 2 inches away from glasswall(back),
the finish product looks like a very wide aquarium although the
actual depth is 36 inches only. (120' x 36" x 36" tank). fish were
being sold alive then cooked for the client who bought them.

• biggamehunter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

i will post the first four stages by friday as i want to get the parts stuck together and the big full size sheet cut into 4 smaler sections so i dont have to remove the top strap from the tank (as ND AQUATICS have started work on my tank as i couldnt get anywhare near the price they can do it for) , before i post them as i can go from the start up to the final stages....marcus what size is your tank????? i am making a 60x30 this time and total cost to complete is about £52 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will be amazed how easy it is and how good the result is !!!!!!!! wont keep you waiting too long;) ;) ;)

• PAUL
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

PAUL replied the topic: Re:feelings on 3D backgrounds

waiting for the details and pics.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds