DIY Aquarium Moonlight

• Floyd_Crook
  • Floyd_Crook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Floyd_Crook created the topic: DIY Aquarium Moonlight

I have a 75 gallon tank with 2 oscars and a pleco. Thinking of making a DIY Aquarium Moolight - used just as a nighlight - had one before and it was really cool, but it was a manufactured one with regular superbright 6000mcd(luminosity - brightness) blue leds in two square 24 inch tubes connected together with a 6 inch wire with a variable volt(control led brighness) ac/dc 12 volt adapter. They where 50 degree angle leds about 2 inches apart. As a diy light I was considering just using a 1 meter long 30 LED 5050 SMD Flexible Car DIY Strip Light 12V(see ebay item number 170704376844). It has adhesive backing on it so I was going to stick it to the aluminum panel underneath of my 48 inch perfecto T12 fluorescent light. I would use a 12 volt ac/dc adapter I have. I believe the luminosity/brightness rating for the leds is 2500-3500mcd. The manufactured moonlight had a 12 volt ac/dc adapter with dimming switch(variable voltage - 1.5v, 3v, 6v, 9v, and 12v). I just thought I would post this here to get any advice and whether or not this would be feasible - like is the brightness of the smd 5050 leds sufficient and so on. The strip itself is not waterproof but it is above glass in the aquarium lid as well and the fluorescent bulb itself so I don't think waterproof is necessary. Anyway - any thoughts or ideas regarding this would be welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 8

mathew-byrne replied the topic: Re: DIY Aquarium Moonlight

A really cheap and easy way i did was i used some blue led christmas lights and laid them across the cover glass not very profesinal but very easy and works

• Thank you received: 5

donk232 replied the topic: Re: DIY Aquarium Moonlight

i went to home depot and got some cabinet lights. they are 3 led disc shaped spot lights i have sitting on top of the tank behind the regular lights.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re: DIY Aquarium Moonlight

on ebay you can buy strips of LED lights cheap

Haku, I knew your were good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds