Plant Sump?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: Plant Sump?

Overflow box - clamp - flexible hose - clamp - valve - output to sump

Here's the thing I forgot to mention about flexible hose you have to secure it on both ends with a tightener clamp or pvc glue.

With a power outage, flooding won't happen because the pump is off and the water will level off below the top of the sump and the water in the tank will be below the overflow box intake. The only time you will get an overflow out of the tank is if the intake to the overflow box is clogged, and the pump is pushing out water faster than the intake of the overflow box.

You could always buy an alarm for the sump if the waterline gets too high. Also, be sure to mark the maximum and minimum fill line for the sump. While the sump is running the water should be no higher than the max line and no lower than the min line. The min line is an indicator for when you need to put water into the sump. Sumps do cause a lot of water evaporation and should be monitored everyday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Plant Sump?

can I put like a shut off/control valve on a flexible hose?

with two nipples (household plumbing section) and a ball valve (garden section), you can do anything!

Well, it sounds silly, but this is how it looks when you have them screwed together:

Basically, you then slot your flexible hose over both nipples, and off you go. (I am putting fasteners on te pipe and clamping it on, but a close enough fit should get you there)

Things to check: diameter of your hose, and diameter of the nipples. If they're very close, submerging your pipes in a cup of boiling water helps a lot. If the hose is too small, you're not going anywhere. If the hose is too large, a powerful clamp will hold it (but test outside...).

Also note that the ball valve will decrease your flow considerably, especially if you're working with a drain, not a siphon. You get different types of valves that are less problematic in this regard, but sometimes need to be ordered.

I guess you could install a tap as well...

• Thank you received: 91

Capt Dave replied the topic: Re: Plant Sump?

Look up algae scrubber filter. Very effective at nitrogen control

I have no idea why the water bill is so high

• Kaiser
  • Kaiser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35

Kaiser replied the topic: Re: Plant Sump?

I think those are a little too advanced for me. :laugh:

I'll try getting this sump started over the weekend. Damn nitrates really gets to me lol.

• Kaiser
  • Kaiser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35

Kaiser replied the topic: Re: Plant Sump?

I went to Lowes after work to buy the materials needed to do to the DIY overflow and ended up spending almost $40 lol. I think I may just buy a pre-made one since the price difference isn't that big. I found a Eshopps PF-800 for $52.

Still a little confused about the pump so please someone correct me if I'm wrong though but for overflows and return pumps...the overflow has to have a higher capacity than the pump right?. So, for a PF-800, I need a pump that is rated for 500-700 GPH. Is that correct?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds