Surface skimmer

• Sosban Fach
  • Sosban Fach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach created the topic: Surface skimmer

No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationSo I have a heavy build up of a organic surface film. I've manually cleaned it up, but each time it comes back with a vengeance. So I think I have three options any advice on any of them would be greatly appreciated.

I can just leave my air pump on all the time and hope the gunk collects until it sinks to the bottom.

I could make a surface skimmer which would fit to my canister filter intake.

Or I can buy a surface skimmer for about £5 and not be sure if it will actually fit my canister filters intake, something like this.

If I was to make it myself (which I'm fairly keen on) I would take a old gravel vac tube, seal one end then cut a few slots in the top, a few in the bottom and slide it over the canister intake. Or remove the intake extension, add a t Junction somehow then add a slotted cup to that.

What do you think, how would you guys go about it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Surface skimmer

Do the DIY, sounds like a solid plan :)

More surface agitation, like a return pointed at the surface, would also do the job by and large.

Also worth looking into why you have a large build up of organic film. Could you be overfeeding?

That said, do the DIY... if it fails, you've lost some time and learnt something to share here. If it works, five bucks saved :)

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: Surface skimmer

Floating pellets are notorious for causing this if they stay on top more than 15-20 seconds. Certains brands cause more protein buildup than others.

• Sosban Fach
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Re: Surface skimmer

looks like leaving the bubbles on solves the problem, very quickly and effectivley. Haveing partcially dismantled my filter intake I realised makeing a skimmer probably wouldnt make a big difference. I may do it at a later date, but it is certantly not neccasary at this point.

I use hikari staple and gold for the oscar most of the week, but use tetra prima and a tetra flake for the sev. The sev food is supposed to be sinking/mid water, but will hang around on the surface, the flakes more than the prima. So must be the flakes, which is a shame because the fish seem to like it. I will just have to alter my mix and put less in. I also use mussels which I suspect are quite oily.

Ordinarily I feed for 2-3 minutes twice a day, but I have planria and this surface film. So despite following the general feeding directions (if anything slightly under) The planria and surface oil point to over feeding. To test the over feeding Ive been feeding my juvies once per day for 5 days and left the bubbles off. The fish never leave any feed. The surface film built up just the same in less than 24 hours. The amount of planria has decreased and the ones that remain are smaller.

Iv'e read that even if you are over-feeding planaria cannot just appear. Atleast one must be introduced into the tank. They may have hitched a ride on the back of some plants I bought online recently.

The sev has become increasingly aggressive, the oscar is suffering as a result and the sev is eating more of the moss balls.

I need to leave the fish for a few days in a months time and then when I get back I'm going to empty and move the tank onto a stand. So I will resume normal feeding for now.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Surface skimmer

u just got all type of problems going on!! lol :pinch: one at a time good sir one at a time...

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Sosban Fach
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Re: Surface skimmer

Meh, water parameters are fine, the cycling worked; ive avoided a mini cycle, I manage to keep my high nitrates from the tap water down, plants are being left alone. In the end my fish are are active, growing well and healthy. That's all that really matters.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds