Aquarium Bridge

• fdriller9
  • fdriller9's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

fdriller9 created the topic: Aquarium Bridge

Hey guys so the school year is over and I am moving into a new place for next year. Right now I have a JD, a Tiger O, and a common pleco in a 75 gallon tank.

I've been looking for a 125 gallon or larger tank so I can move my fish to a larger home. They are all about 7 inches so they they need more room but the larger tanks are too expensive!

Well I came across an idea that I think will keep my wallet happy and my fish. I want to buy another 75 gallon tank and put it next to my current one with an aqua bridge type contraption connecting the two. If you guys don't know what an aqua bridge is, youtube will show many examples. Basically, it's a water filled tunnel above/between the tanks and works on water pressure/displacement.

My lease overlaps a month for both places which actually works out for my fishes favor :) I plan on buying a 75 gallon tank to place in the new house and establishing it. Then moving my fish in the new tank and bringing the old tank with me. This should hopefully minimize their stress levels.

Anyway, so I was wondering if any of you had done this before? And if you had an tips?

I'm concerned about water movement in the tunnel. For this, I was thinking about putting a power head at one opening.

Or another idea I have is getting another 2 canister filters...so in total I would have 3. One for each tank. Then one would collect water from one tank and dump it in the other. Now since both tanks are connected, I think the level should be the same in both tanks. So that means this setup should circulate the water in the tunnel since it will pull water from the first tank and put it in the second tank, pushing the water in the tunnel to the first tank.

Anyone know if that will work?

lol Sorry for the book I wrote. Thanks for reading :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re: Aquarium Bridge

Sounds like a pretty cool idea. I'll have a word with my mate who is in the business, I'll see what he suggests, it's not something I would like to advise on because quite frankly I have no idea how to set it up.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Aquarium Bridge

That sound like a cool idea.. I will be exited to see what ofl has to say about it

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• fdriller9
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

fdriller9 replied the topic: Re: Aquarium Bridge

OFL wrote: Sounds like a pretty cool idea. I'll have a word with my mate who is in the business, I'll see what he suggests, it's not something I would like to advise on because quite frankly I have no idea how to set it up.

Cool thanks man. I appreciate it.

ehall67 wrote: That sound like a cool idea.. I will be exited to see what ofl has to say about it

Yea I'm excited to get this thing going. Once I'm done with my last final, I can start putting this project together!

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: Aquarium Bridge

Ive seen these but never tried one and it makes me nervous that they will leak as they are kind of made up of 3tanks. Have you seen the L shaped tank I really like and keep posting link of?

this is kind of what you mean right?

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• fdriller9
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

jnet wrote: Ive seen these but never tried one and it makes me nervous that they will leak as they are kind of made up of 3tanks. Have you seen the L shaped tank I really like and keep posting link of?

this is kind of what you mean right?

I haven't been on here much lately so I haven't seen the L shape tank. I will check it out.

That video is one of the first ones I saw. I was hooked after watching a few of them lol.

I also have a concern about leaks. Instead of making a square shape, I think I'm just going to get an acrylic tube and use PVC 90 degree joints to extend them into the water. I think that will be alot safer/easier to build. I just have to secure it from rolling around. I'm kinda thinking of putting a TV in between the 2 tanks and having the bridge go across but if it ever fails, my TV is gone! haha

There is a plastics store by me in Philly called "Everything Plastic" and they have ever imaginable piece of acrylic, including acrylic tubes in various diameters.

I want to add some smaller fish, like silver dollars. I haven't done too much research on tank mates but I would like a small school of silver dollars and some other similar sized fish. Any recommendations?

I can't decide if I want to make the bridge large enough for my O and JD to swim through. I was thinking I can make it just big enough for the smaller fish to swim through. That way, my JD can have one tank to himself as well as my O.

They fight quite often...which has been killing me for the longest time but I just don't have space at my current apartment for another 75 gallon tank. My O gets beat up :(

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: Aquarium Bridge

That is a really cool idea and would love to see you do it. Unfortunately not much advise although I do like the idea of acrylic tubing with pvc elbows. Keep us updated!

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

I am a big SD fan so I advise them fast and able to take some hits... very skittish at times but good fish in my view and i know ben loves them to and actually a few of us on here keep schools of them..

• fdriller9
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

What do you guys think of use using a Fluval FX5 on the 2, 75 gallon tanks? It's rated up to 400 gallons. My only concern is that it will move water too quickly through the bridge and cause it to only allow fish to swim one way.

If I go this route, I'll be putting my current canister on my 30 gallon and put a few african cichlids in there.

Eventually, I want to setup a sump on the 2, 75 gallon tanks. But this setup is only for a year and then I'll be moving again. :( Once I get into a more permanent situation, I'll make a sump.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

yeah with all the moving you are going to be doing I do not know how much I would set up I wanted them for a long time while i was in college but only once I left 2 years ago did I really start buying my tanks and what not....

still sounds cool tho

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds