driftwood

• JÄGERDOG82
  • JÄGERDOG82's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7

JÄGERDOG82 created the topic: driftwood

If I soak driftwood in bleach water for a few days then give it a few clean water soaks to get out the bleach out. Then find a way to weight it down is there any fish safe water proof coating I can use to seal the wood?

It's better to be a smart ass than a Dumb ass.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: driftwood

The general consensus out there is that you could possibly try polyurethane varnish, but that it is a bad idea because the varnish either leeches bad stuff into your aquarium, or flakes off in bits and then leeches anyway. The second factor is especially bad if you have plecos, apparently.

Is this about tannins? I think you should find a nice fishpond, and leave your driftwood in there for a year. At least, that's the advice an LFS gave me when I got one of my chunks. I didn't, and just lived with the tannins. 50% a week will really keep the brown in check.

• JÄGERDOG82
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

JÄGERDOG82 replied the topic: Re: driftwood

Yeah its about tannins. I have tried real wood and boiled it a half dozen times and still couldn't get it to stop leaching. I read an article about making driftwood safe and they recommended the bleach water soak then multiple freshwater soaks to remove all the bleach. I am just trying to find a fish safe sealent. But thanks for the info.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: driftwood

from my experience, tannins arent that big of deal. with weekly waterchanges the tannins will gradually come out each week. i use large pieces, so i just rinse them with a hose and give a little scrub with a brush.

i don't recommend bleach. but if you do, just (obviously) make sure you have all of it cleared up before putting in tank.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• jjjohnston8623
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Variety is the Spice of life!!
  • Thank you received: 47

jjjohnston8623 replied the topic: Re: driftwood

I agree with Cebo, they aren't that big of a deal. All it will do is color your water a tea color. and after some time it will eventually clear up.

I have had 3 medium sized pieces in my tank for about 3 and a half years now and the water just recently started being crystal clear. But to me I didn't mind the tea color one bit. Made my river theme tank seem more natural.

all in personal prefference I guess tho.

And I wouldn't recommend the bleach either. :/

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: driftwood

I have two large pieces of grapevine driftwood. I bought them presoaked, though I can't be certain for how long. One thing I do notice is they don't leech anything back into the water. They were still white when I got them, have since turned a nice brown from soaking through.

So it may be worth looking into the grapevine thing, plus, they just look friggin awesome IMO!

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: driftwood

I prefer the tannin colour and the fish are calmer but if you dont want the tannins what about putting driftwood in a container of water and then keep changing water than when its ready put in the tank. But to be honest it takes a few weeks to months to get lighter and with in a year of soaking you cant really see tannins Esp if you have a smaller bit of wood it ownt take as long. Or buy from petshop sometimes they have wood that has been soaked and no longer has tannins.

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: driftwood

Yeah I like to buy from fish stores in their display tanks sometimes they sell their drift wood and their tanks are already crystal clear so it is nice to have a presoaked piece because I do not like the tea color other Jager

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• JÄGERDOG82
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

JÄGERDOG82 replied the topic: Re: driftwood

Yeah I'm really into doing everything myself. I'm building my first tank from building frame to setting goass and sealing it and resealing some. Fish keeping is expensive so I try to so my best not to spend all my money on them. Lol. And with tea prices the lfs store charges hell maybe I can make a buck or two to buy more fish. I'm sure I'm reaching the weight limit on my floor and going to have to start putting them in the basement. Lol

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds