Plywoodtank UPDATE MOVE PICS

• jnet
  • jnet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: Plywood tank sorry guys for new thread

ok Im a little confused can someone help me I need a pump for my filter right so I was looking at 6800l/h but than found a site with this and a pump for £100 I looked and the pump they were selling was a 200l/h so now Im not sure my pond will be 1000litre rougthly so what size do I need?

I dont want to pay £60 when I could pay £20 :)

Also what is the best heater to heat this thing?

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Re: Plywood tank sorry guys for new thread

jnet wrote:
So Im thinking I should just get this box it in and put a front on it now could I raise sides or to much of a risk? Grant thinks it will cause alot of stress on a seam midway and so would leak. If not all I need to do is cut out hole stick glass in and fill just lights and lid to sort. :)

And fishies happy.

Little confused as to what your suggesting. Is it a rectangular pond? When you say box it in do you mean to box around the flange to provide support, where it would otherwise be buried?

Its difficult to visulise what your on about, but if your going to simply stick boards on top of the top edge of the pond then yes that will collapse. Look at a simple tank structure. The base glass ties the sides together at the bottom and stops it from falling out sideways. The top braceing does the same. If you simply drop boards onto the top of the pond you need to ensure there is something that ties them together.

You could extend them if you put your board onto a smaller piece of board; so that it looks like and L shape. Then screw it into the top flange of the pond. Dont forget to tie it at the top and/or brace it against a load bearing wall.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: Plywood tank sorry guys for new thread

I'm a little confused too as far as your plans for the pond. I wouldn't write off the plywood tank as imo it is not necessary to use a marine grade plywood and would go so far as to say most of the diy ply tanks out there aren't built with a marine grade ply. I'd check into exterior grade ply as I think this will be plenty sufficient with the proper thickness.

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

ok Ive lost you all lol :)

Now back to the start Im going to use a pre-made pond, its a holding tank for koi.

www.midlandwaterlife.com/lagunarectangularpondtub130x80x46cm470l-p-1406.html

similar to this but the bigger one, 180cm, 120cm, 60cm so it works out to be roughly 225gals.

Now I want to raise up on blocks and build frame work around; the back wall and one side will be resting against my houses walls.

We want to cut into front and replace with glass/acrylic then we need lid and frame to add strength. I just wondered if I could raise sides to make bigger depth but Grant says too risky and as Ive confused you guys I thinking not a good idea :)

So do you understand my plan now? I figured a premade will be more water tight and less seals makes it less chance of leaking that is what we were thinking.

Anyone help on which pump I will need?

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?

Problem with this is getting a good bond between the glass/acrylic and the plastic pond. You cant use the acrylic seaming method cuz you're not bonding acrylic to acrylic. As far as siliconing between glass and plastic it's my understanding that silicone doesnt bond as well with plastic and I'm afraid the seal would not withstand the pressure. I think you'd end up with a useless plastic pond...

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

so you dont think cutting into this would be good idea?

That is what I thought but Grant and the guy in the shop thought this best option.

I thought about buying this and raising the sides and putting glass on front but Grants says that wont work.

So Jason do you think exterior plywood will be alright? Because I can get that for less. The marine will be £80 but exterior was around £50 its alot less when I will need 5.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?

The exterior ply will be fine. Just have to research similar size and dimension plywood tank builds to determine appropriate thickness and other aspects of how you go about building it. I think the plastic pond idea is trouble waiting to happen.

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

:P thats funny because Grant seems to think the plywood tank is a disater waiting to happen. :)

Im so dense and annoyed at this I just want it there made up and happy. Ill have to think more about this again I just want it built. I need someone that can just say you need this, this and this and I go get it and build up like lego and kar-ching its made throw water in, ornaments and fish and away we go.

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

also its hard to get Grants concentration at moment as he is playing Diablo and its my hobby to pratt around with fish not his. He keeps moaning that Im putting his GG in with the oscars and worried they will eat him. :)

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: Plywood tank sorry guys for new thread

Go with cinder blocks and make it part of the structure of your house :D

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds