DIY Canister filter

• lark2004
  • lark2004's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

lark2004 created the topic: DIY Canister filter

Hi all,

I'm on the prowl for another canister filter, as one of my tanks is only running a pair of HOB's and I'm not entirely happy with the water flow... or rather lack of :(

In my searching I've come across several DIY filters, and various thoughts on them, with sealing being one of the main concerns.

It got me to thinking though, if I use a 20litre bucket with a good sealing type lid, and fit the pump to the output side, so that it is drawing the water through the filter and not pushing it through, then it shouldn't put any pressure on the lid seal.

Something along the lines of this...

The pump I'm looking at is rated at 1400L/H and the tank is 180L.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: DIY Canister filter

If the seal isn't good, it will still leak - the water pressure will still build up from the siphon from your tank into the cannister. With an inch hose and a meter's height, you can get close to 4000 liters running through it in an hour with just a siphon. There will be pressure.
My cannisters work on this system as you have it laid out, and they're store-bought.

But this is a great idea, just be sure to get a good sealing lid :D

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: DIY Canister filter

What I see there is an FX5 lol

The principles of canisters are all generally the same, bottom to top filtration. If you're going to DIY any kind of filter, I'd go with a sump or refugium of some kind.

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

• lark2004
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

lark2004 replied the topic: Re: DIY Canister filter

Well I had a look at a FX5 filter today.... I think I'll keep my entire weeks pay and build mine for less than 1/10th of the price...

I figured out how to improve the already good seal that the lid has at the moment, photo's will come as soon as I have time to make the fittings. (I work fairly sporadically on things like this... so it could take a week before I do that part :P )

I may have a pump sorted, just have to do some testing on it to if it will be suitable, flow is rated at about 1000L/H with a 1.2m head, will soon see if it is going to work.

• lark2004
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

:pinch: :pinch: :pinch: Ok, I don't have a pump sorted out yet..... maybe on the weekend.

• Miss Nicki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Miss Nicki replied the topic: Re: DIY Canister filter

Please keep the updates coming.. I have thought about doing this myself and would LOVE to know if it works..

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: DIY Canister filter

Why do you have the intake going through the media? This adds a level of complication that is not needed in my opinion.

Do what the eheim classic canisters do, and just put a tap at the bottom from the outside of the canister.

• lark2004
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I thought about having the inlet fitting at the bottom, but I really want both hoses at the top, and running the internal pipe through the media isn't very hard to do.

Hopefully today in all my running around with work and getting my kids to squash afterwards I'll have some time to get some bits and pieces together... well, at least get them :unsure:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds